Kara DioGuardi heads up new music reality series
- October 26, 2010 2:43 PM |
- By Arts Online
Erstwhile American Idol judge Kara Dioguardi is set to launch her own musical reality series. (Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for VH1).
Former American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi is heading up a new show hoping to find America's next songwriting superstar.
Just two months after her exit from American Idol - a departure rife with rumours that she was fired -- DioGuardi has announced that she will serve as head judge on the new Bravo show Going Platinum. The series will follow 12 musicians as they jockey for $100,000 and recording deals. The competition will be hosted by singer/songwriter Jewel, who will also sit on the judges' panel. Musical celebrities will guest-judge the competition each week, which will ask the musicians to write tunes in different genres -- everything from hip-hop to ballads.
DioGuardi knows a thing or two about songwriting -- she has written hits for Kylie Minogue, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and Faith Hill, as well as American Idol alums Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Clay Aiken.
"Hit songs are the backbone of the music industry, and as a publisher, nothing excites me more than finding new songwriting talent," DioGuardi told People magazine. "I am happy to be a part of a show that helps up and coming songwriters pursue their dreams, while giving the public a look into the creative process." Going Platinum started taping this month, and premieres next year.
-- Lisa Pires
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post