Glee goes Britney in new preview
- September 22, 2010 10:37 AM |
- By Emily Gagne
Glee kicked off its second season last night with a fairly safe - but still great! - episode. The not-so-innovative installment, entitled "Audition," featured fresh takes on New Directions standards. The line-up: another awkward rap number (Empire State of Mind), a delightfully over-the-top pop duet (Telephone), a semi-acoustic group jam (Billionaire), a showstopping solo (Listen from Dreamgirls) and a perfectly underrated showtune (What I Did For Love from A Chorus Line).
While the episode had the tone of the first half of the first season (a.k.a. the better half), playfully alternating between catty camp and bittersweet reality checks, it wasn't quite as hyped-up I expected it would be. But I guess that's because Mr. Shue and the gang are saving all their sass for next week.
Last season, Glee hit a serious high with its tribute to Madonna. And it seems like they've done it again this season - with the help of Madge's choice for pop princess, Britney Spears. In this preview for the previously-announced all Britney episode (titled "Britney/Brittany"), which airs next Tuesday, we get a sneak peek at what looks like a truly diva-licious episode.
The clip reveals quite a lot - including expertly staged snippets of Spears' mega-hits, "Toxic" (hello Brittany in a sparkly leotard!), "...Baby One More Time" (hello, Rachel in a schoolgirl outfit!), "Me Against the Music" (hello, everyone looking awkwardly androgynous!) and "I'm a Slave 4 U" (hello, fake (?) snake!). Sue's reaction to the whole thing? Horror (obviously).
What they don't give us is a preview of Spears' guest appearance, which in my opinion, will be one of most exciting parts of the crop-top circus of an episode. Maybe it's just me (and my penchant for late-90s nostalgia), but I miss the old gal and her highly choreographed hand movements. Sure, she's had a bit of a comeback the last few years (thanks in most part to "Womanizer"), but you can tell, from the bottom of her broken heart, she's not really that into it. Let's hope she can keep her cool for her five-second cameo. Or at least give the Gleeks permission to remake this.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post