Rolling Stone chooses the top 10 Beatles songs
- August 26, 2010 11:30 AM |
- By Lee Ferguson
In honour of the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' final studio album, Let It Be, Rolling Stone magazine recently released a Collectors Edition issue, listing the top 100 Beatles songs of all time.
To whet readers' appetites for the special issue, Rolling Stone has posted a list of the Top 10 Beatles Songs online today, which is as follows:
1. A Day in the Life
2. I Want to Hold Your Hand
3. Strawberry Fields Forever
5. In My Life
7. Hey Jude
8. Let It Be
9. Come Together
10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
The Top 10 is already generating animated chatter amongst people in our office - perhaps even reopening old debates between those of us who (cough) prefer John Lennon and those who adore Paul McCartney.
I was delighted to see one of my favourite Beatles tunes, In My Life, sitting at number 5 on the list, and less enthusiastic to see an early-period Fab Four number like I Want to Hold Your Hand sitting as high as number 2. Meanwhile, most everyone at Arts Online seems in agreement that it's a good thing two stellar George Harrison compositions made the list. And can anyone quibble with Rolling Stone's pick for number 1 - the dizzying Lennon-McCartney masterpiece that is A Day in Life?
You will have your own favourites, of course, and we'd love to hear 'em: Which songs would get your vote for the best Beatles tunes ever?
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post