Drake meets Nardwuar - hilarity ensues
- July 29, 2010 10:50 AM |
- By Andre Mayer
Nardwuar the Human Serviette isn't acknowledged as one of our premier music journalists, and he damn well should be.
Some people are put off by his keening, prepubescent voice and foppish tam o'shanter hat. True, they can seem like gimmicks, but they're actually a ruse to put his interview subjects off their usual message track -- no small feat, if you've ever had the (mis)fortune of interviewing a high-profile musician.
And then there's Nardwuar's undeniable knowledge of music, which you can see in the obscure records he brings for his guests. This is yet another strategic move, meant to disarm his subjects, because the record titles he chooses are always deeply personal ones for his specific subject. The interviewees marvel at the extent of Nardwuar's research and resourcefulness, and reward him (and the viewer) with unfiltered confessions. Some of my favourite Nardwuar encounters include Pharrell Williams and his multiple visits with Snoop Dogg.
His latest subject is Canadian rap superstar Drake, who reveals, among other things, his love for Canadian hip-hop progenitor Michee Mee, his bra collection, his youthful, um, fervour for Pam Grier -- and, inevitably, his respect for the Human Serviette.
Ten minutes well spent.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post