Pickle is more popular than Nickelback on Facebook
- February 25, 2010 2:44 PM |
- By Lee Ferguson
Facebook page called "Can this pickle get more fans than Nickelback?" has attracted more fans in two weeks than the Nickelback fan page has acquired in its existence on Facebook. (Getty Images)
Wednesday night, as Canucks across the country were watching the Canadian men's hockey team emerge victorious from its Olympic quarter-final match against Russia, there was an equally nail-biting Canadian competition unfolding online.
I'm talking about the Facebook-inspired showdown between Canadian rockers Nickelback and... a pickle. And, as of late last night, it's looking like the pickle has trounced the wildly successful hard rock band.
Started as a bit of a lark by Facebook member Coral Anne on February 3, the Facebook group entitled, "Can this pickle get more fans than Nickelback?" has become a hit of How You Remind Me proportions, picking up unexpected momentum in the last three weeks, until the plucky little dill finally surpassed Chad Kroeger and co. late yesterday. At last count, the pickle has more supporters (1,489,737) than the Nickelback fan page (1,422,984 members strong) has acquired in its existence on the popular social networking site.
No word yet on what the band thinks of the online upset, but the founder of the pickle-inspired Facebook fan group has weighed in on the outcome, taking pains to say the page was always meant to be funny and her intent "was pro-pickle, more than anti-Nickelback."
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post