Trail-blazers: IFC picks the 50 greatest movie trailers of all time
- July 3, 2009 2:28 PM |
- By Arts Online
Illustration by Jillian Tamaki
With movie studios increasingly targeting the lowest common denominator in their marketing campaigns, it’s easy to forget there really was a time (not so long ago) when a decent movie trailer could feel like a cinematic event in its own right.
While today’s pre-feature teasers seem hell-bent on either appealing to the lowbrow or giving away entire plotlines, good promo clips of yore could pique your curiosity about a film, offer a playful commentary on what the movie would be about or, at the very least, scare the hell out of you.
Thankfully, the folks at IFC are on hand to remind us of how effective a truly artful trailer can be, and they’ve hunted down 50 of what they consider to be the greatest movie trailers of all time for our viewing pleasure.
While I was initially taken aback by some of their selections – believe me, this is the only time the craptacular Stephen King effort Maximum Overdrive will ever appear on a list of “Greatest” anything – after taking some time to enjoy the imaginative, weird treasures they’ve assembled, I think IFC’s choices are bang on. (Especially the top 2, which will completely blow your minds. Promise.)
But I’m curious to get your take, readers. Do you agree with the selections on IFC’s list? Are there any amazing trailers you feel were wrongfully overlooked?
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post