Signs of the (pop-cultural) apocalypse: Snuggie for dogs edition
- July 31, 2009 1:43 PM |
- By Arts Online
Illustration by Jillian Tamaki
The insane popularity of the Snuggie -- that fleecy blanket with sleeves -- was bad enough.
But now, like a virulent outbreak of kennel cough in an animal shelter, the lust for useless consumer goods has spread to the canine community. Friends, I bring you the Snuggie for dogs:
I'm as much a fan of sensible pooch apparel as the next girl -- don't knock a doggie raincoat until you've had to sit in a car that reeks of wet mutt -- but enough is enough. A pet does NOT need to own cuddly loungewear that matches his or her owner's sleeve-blanket! And speaking from experience, I can assure you that a tiny, non-water-resistant fleece will be of no use to a shivering chihuahua mix on a frosty winter's day.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post