CMW 2009: Simmons vs. Lefsetz industry cagematch!
- March 13, 2009 3:32 PM |
- By Arts Online
Music columnist Sarah Liss. (Photo by Paul Gorbould/CBC)
This just in: Clearly not content with having secured a captive audience for yesterday's infomercial... er, CMW keynote session, shameless self-promoter Gene Simmons is returning to conference HQ for a gloves-off confrontation with music biz veteran Bob Lefsetz.
Here's the dirt: apparently Lefsetz (who writes a hugely popular industry e-newsletter) put together a quickie review/overview of Simmons's keynote address, which made its way into Simmons's hot little hands. Simmons, in turn, tried to tear Lefsetz a new one in an email sent to one of his Universal Music Canada contacts and posted on SimmonsRecords.com.
Choice snippets from their online beef:
"First, the name LEFSETZ. I would tell him to his face. That name's gotta go. It blows. If this guy was in a band and wanted to sign with us, he'd have to change his name. Or, sign with someone else.
Otherwise, have no clue who this fellow is or what he does."
Lefsetz: "Truly, it was relentless. Gene with that bizarre hairdo sponsored by Brillo"
Simmons: "NOW, NOW...NO NEED TO BE JEALOUS, BABY. JUST BECAUSE I REMEMBER YOUR MOMMY BACKSTAGE AND THEN AT THE HOTEL IS NO REASON TO BE ENVIOUS OF MY GOOD LOOKS."
"THIS IS A SMALL PERSON, WHO'S NEVER DONE ANYTHING, NEVER BEEN IN A BAND AND DOESN'T KNOW HOW THE RECORD INDUSTRY WORKS. HE DOESN'T KNOW ME AND I DON'T KNOW HIM. AND HE WOULDN'T KNOW, IN EITHER CASE IF I "DO" OR "DON'T" PART WITH MY MONEY. AND IN ANY CASE, IT WOULDN'T BE HIS BUSINESS, OR MY GARBAGE COLLECTOR'S."
And it goes on.
Anyhow, it seems that Neill Dixon, who runs CMW, saw a great opportunity for a no-holds-barred face-off (and, obviously, tonnes of extra publicity for CMW). Unless something goes awry, he's convinced both men to appear at the Fairmont Royal York's Ballroom at later today for a confrontation that's sure to be off the chain.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post