Geek world mourns: Zooey gets engaged
- December 31, 2008 11:06 AM |
- By Arts Online
Illustration by Jillian Tamaki
I hope you don’t mind me emitting a heartbroken cry on behalf of you all. According to a little item I just saw posted online, the rumours are true: actress-turned-crooner Zooey Deschanel — a creature so special she’s sparked rampant crushes in more than one writer in this office — is engaged to be married.
I think the Pitchforkmedia.com staff offered up the best take on news of her impending nuptials when they remarked “Sorry, lonely dudes,” since word of this union is undoubtedly causing geeks worldwide to light candles and retreat to their parents’ basements for a period of prolonged mourning.
Still, I can’t help thinking the object of Deschanel’s affection, Death Cab for Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard, is a pretty perfect fit for our Zooey. A gifted songwriter who’s not afraid to show his emo side, he might be the only guy sensitive enough to treat the sentimental-hearted Deschanel with the respect she deserves.
Of course, many visitors to the US Weekly site disagree, and are already posting snarky comments about how Gibbard isn’t nearly good enough for the indie darling.
So, what say you, readers? Do you think Ben & Zooey make a great couple?
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post