Cyndi Lauper and the Hives celebrate the holidays
- December 2, 2008 11:40 AM |
- By Arts Online
Singer Cyndi Lauper, seen here, has teamed up with Swedish rockers the Hives for a Christmas duet entitled A Christmas Duel. (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)
Ugly plastic reindeer are galloping on front lawns, explosions of tinsel strands abound and fake snow's piled in store window displays, which can only mean one thing: it's seasonal novelty song time! Aside from that one great Badly Drawn Boy tune, Donna and Blitzen (featured prominently in Sears holiday ads), most contemporary entries into the Great Festive Song Olympics pale in comparison to the classics. Happily, the inimitable Cyndi Lauper and those Swedish rock renegades the Hives have provided a new holiday tune for the ages.
Feast your ears on this modern Xmas delicacy, A Christmas Duel:
It's not necessarily for all tastes -- lines about Lauper "going down on your mother" will likely offend more reverent ears. But for folks who take comfort in watching films like the Jodie Foster-directed Home For The Holidays because it reminds them of their own perversely dysfunctional families, A Christmas Duel should be a note-perfect addition to holiday playlists. It's ridiculously catchy and very sing-along-able. As my esteemed colleague Greig Dymond suggested, A Christmas Duel's another dark December anthem in the great tradition of the Pogues' Fairytale Of New York (one of my all-time snowy-season faves).
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post