"Warmed up like dance biscuits": Justin Timberlake, Single Lady
- November 18, 2008 11:43 AM |
- By Arts Online
Beyonce and stand-in Single Lady Justin Timberlake on Saturday Night Live, Nov. 15, 2008. (Getty Images)
Even without Tina Fey's notorious (and now-retired) Sarah Palin impersonation routine AND the inimitable Amy Poehler (who's currently taking care of her new son Archibald, but has already announced she's done with SNL), this week's episode of Saturday Night Live had some stellar moments. Tops on the list: a wicked, wacky parody of what might've gone on behind the scenes of the shoot for Beyon... er, Sasha Fierce's Single Ladies video.
When our girl Beyonce (last Saturday's musical guest) arrives on set to start rolling, she's shocked to discover the dancers her director (Paul Rudd) has hired for the clip aren't ladies at all, but rather fantastically flamboyant fellas. "People are expecting [strong, beautiful women]," insists Rudd. "I thought that instead of beautiful women, we'd use... uh... guys!" The black leotard-and-kitten heeled-pumps-clad trio -- which includes a neck-poppin', finger-snappin' Justin "My D**k In A Box" Timberlake -- are off the chain, though they really have to be seen to be believed:
Watch, laugh, and think about how the video (whether in parody or original form) is way more engaging that 3/4 of the tracks on Beyonce's new double album, I Am... Sasha Fierce, which hits stores today.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post