Jon Hamm hams it up on Saturday Night Live
- October 28, 2008 4:05 PM |
- By Arts Online
Illustration by Jillian Tamaki
Personally, I had my doubts about Hamm’s appearance on the show. Don’t get me wrong, I'd set my TiVo to capture this dreamboat reading from the phone book, but since he spends much of his Mad Men screen time brooding, furrowing his brow and playing out some protracted life crisis as Don Draper, he wasn't a natural choice to yuk it up alongside the Not Ready For Prime-Time Players.
So I’m delighted to report that Hamm was a smash on SNL. He shone in a commercial parody for “Jon Hamm’s John Ham: ham you can eat in the bathroom," mastered a bang-on James Mason impersonation and capably skewered his own smoldering Mad Men persona. In the process, he showed off his lighter side and displayed a flair for delivering slightly scatological jokes with a straight face.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post