Everything you need to know in life can be learned from Mad Men... or can it?
- August 5, 2008 4:01 PM |
- By Arts Online
Not to keep hammering away at our collective fascination with AMC-produced period drama Mad Men over here at Arts Online, but I stumbled upon this curiosity in the depths of cyberspace earlier this morning and it gave me pause.
Basically, the cutesy site is a collection of servicey bons mots written in the voice of Mad Men's Joan Holloway -- the de facto office harlot around Sterling Cooper, paired with retro images. I really wanted to be enamoured of the blog's meta-ness, but something felt... I dunno... a bit thin. Like, a clever concept without the meat of follow-through. Like, this could've been a neat inside joke shared by rabid fans, but it feels more like a variation on a day-to-day Ziggy calendar or something.
Apparently I'm not alone. Exhibit A: New York Magazine's Vulture blog snipes about the spate of Mad Men cheekiness.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post