Bodice ripper: John Edwards scandal turns literary
- August 13, 2008 12:55 PM |
- By Arts Online
Illustration by Jillian Tamaki
Seeing former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards on Nightline, expressing deep regret over his extramarital affair with Rielle Hunter, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of déjà vu. Didn’t we already hear about this story a few months ago? Oh no, that was Eliot Spitzer’s deep regret over his extramarital affair(s) with high-priced New York call girls. Yawn.
Then comes word that Rielle Hunter has a bit of a past as a literary party girl, which strikes me as way hotter than any revelation from the Spitzer debacle, where the most interesting thing to emerge was some old footage of one of his “dates” cavorting on the Girls Gone Wild bus.
Famed Bright Lights, Big City author Jay McInerney has fessed up to Page Six in the New York Post that he briefly dated Rielle Hunter back in the '80s when she was known as Lisa Druck. According to McInerney, Hunter/Druck served as the model for Alison Poole, the hedonistic protagonist in his novel Story of My Life. More interesting still is the appearance of a character named Alison Poole in two novels (American Psycho and Glamorama) penned by Bret Easton Ellis, McInerney’s friend and fellow card-carrying member of the “literary brat pack."
I have only one question: Where is Tama Janowitz in all of this? If she so much as had a lunch date with Druck at The Odeon, I think this could officially qualify as some kind of literary hat trick…
-- Lee Ferguson
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post