Santogold gets dubbed
- July 29, 2008 12:19 PM |
- By Arts Online
Philly-reared, Brooklyn-based Santogold makes a wild, spraypaint-smeared kind of music that's a collision between brassy Blondie-style new wave, jittery hipster-friendly dance-rock, snotty R&B and languorous reggae, with a nice dash of hip hop thrown in for good measure.
Her self-titled debut, which came out in May, is still my favourite pop album released this year. She's currently on tour opening for Coldplay (who touch down at Montreal's Bell Centre tonight and hit the Air Canada Centre in Toronto tomorrow and Thursday). And today -- mere months after shaking things up with Santogold -- she drops Top Ranking. It's a sizzling collaboration with mash-up maestro Diplo (the DJ/producer who helped mastermind postcolonial dance floor queen M.I.A.'s Arular debut).
Diplo's approach with Top Ranking is similar to that of the Piracy Funds Terrorism mix he did with M.I.A.: a slick dancehall-oriented reworking of Santogold's album tracks, stacked with guest appearances and innovative remixes.
For a tiny taste, head to label Mad Decent's MySpace and scroll down to the DiploSantogold revamp of the Clash track Guns Of Brixton (their version? Guns of Brooklyn).
Also worth checking out (if you haven't already): The fantastic video for Santogold's de facto theme song, L.E.S. Artistes.
Bonus: Behind the scenes of her video shoot for Creator.
Bonus squared: M.I.A. and Santogold team up on Get It Up.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post