How to calculate which Show You Should Watch™
- July 25, 2008 2:38 PM |
- By Arts Online
Riffing on the sudden spate of mega-love pundits and members of the public are showering upon period drama series Mad Men, the folks over at NYMag have created a handy little guide for parsing what makes a Show You Should Watch™.
But what exactly is a Show You Should Watch™, you ask? According to them, it's, y'know, that
"It" TV show, the series that you realize you're going to have to catch up on if you [want] to be a civilized grown-up. [It's a show that makes you feel] that oppressive sense, delivered by critics and laysnobs alike, that if you aren't watching Mad Men you're out of touch with all that is good in our culture. That means Mad Men is officially a Show You Should Watch™ (or SYSW for short), following in the proud footsteps of The Wire, The Sopranos, and Arrested Development.
The SYSW phenomenon seems particularly prevalent in the hazy, lazy dog days of summer, when bougie folks find themselves with a little bit more time on their hands and rush to keep abreast of all the pop cultural ephemera they so sorely neglected during regular working hours. Mad Men is certainly on my vacation-viewing list, as is The Wire (all of the seasons). But I've also jacked up the camp quota by throwing in Melrose Place: Season 4 on DVD. Anything I'm missing?
Now check out their graphic analysis.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post