Director Peter Jackson will remain in a New Zealand hospital for a few more days to recover, after undergoing last-minute surgery for a perforated ulcer last week.
The filmmaker behind the Oscar-winning The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as the forthcoming The Hobbit films was admitted to Wellington Hospital on Wednesday complaining of severe stomach pains.
He underwent surgery that night.
On Monday, publicist Melissa Booth said Jackson, 49, was "doing well," but would need to remain in hospital for several more days. He is in stable condition in the intensive care unit.
Doctors have said they expect him to make a full recovery.
The unexpected illness is the latest delay to The Hobbit, a two-part production set to hit theatres in Dec. 2012 and Dec. 2013.
Production on the project, slated to start in February, was also postponed due to the drawn-out financial woes of film studio MGM, the departure of original director Guillermo del Toro and a temporary boycott of The Hobbit by acting unions.