Will Ferrell to receive inaugural MTV 'comedic genius' honour
Former SNL caster, Funnyordie.com co-founder to be honoured in April
Posted: Feb 28, 2013 3:10 PM ET
Last Updated: Feb 28, 2013 2:59 PM ET
Offbeat actor Will Ferrell will be the inaugural recipient of a brand new MTV Movie Awards honour celebrating influential comedians.
The former Saturday Night Live cast member will receive the Comedic Genius Award this spring, MTV announced.
"Will Ferrell epitomizes what it means to be a comedic genius, and it's only fitting that he should be the inaugural recipient of this award,” MTV president Stephen Friedman said in a statement.
"Over the course of his extraordinary, 17-plus-year career, he has entertained audiences across the globe with an impressive array of laugh-out-loud performances on air, online and in films. Simply put, Will Ferrell is kind of a big deal."
Though he initially studied to be a sports broadcaster, Ferrell discovered his comedic talent and switched to comedy. He joined the influential West Coast improv troupe The Groundlings, whose alumni include Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Lisa Kudrow, Jon Lovitz and Paul Reubens.
He would join fellow former Groundlings of the era — like Chris Kattan, Phil LaMarr, Cheri Oteri and Julia Sweeney — when cast on long running TV sketch show Saturday Night Live in the mid-1990s.
After 2002, Ferrell focused on a film career that has included such comedy blockbusters as Elf, Anchorman, Step Brothers and Old School.
Co-creator of the influential and popular comedy site Funnyordie.com, Ferrell also starred in the one-man Broadway show You're Welcome America, a satirical examination of former U.S. president George W. Bush's administration based on the impersonation he had perfected on SNL.
Ferrell will receive the new award at the 2013 MTV Movie Awards ceremony, hosted by comedienne Rebel Wilson, on April 14. Nominations will be revealed on March 5.
- Horror tale Haunting Melissa targets app audiences by Jessica Wong May. 16, 2013 4:40 PM If you're seeking the weather, the news or a pic of what your buddy had for lunch, there are apps for that. What about an original, Hollywood-calibre ghost story from a producer of The Ring and Mulholland Drive? Now, there's an app for that, too. Haunting Melissa ventures into the burgeoning realm of digital storytelling as a traditional ghost story with a modern twist -- namely a tale that unfolds through an iOS app.
Top News Headlines
- Search for Oklahoma tornado survivors nearly complete
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Video forensics: How easy would it be to fake a Rob Ford video?
- A Toronto newspaper reported last week that it has seen a cellphone video of Mayor Rob Ford allegedly smoking crack, a claim that has gone global. If a video does surface, how easy would it be to determine its authenticity? CBC News asked video forensic analyst David McKay. more »
- Senate sends Duffy expense audit for 2nd internal review
- The Senate decided to send Senator Mike Duffy's audit report back to its internal committee for a second review, despite objections from the Liberal Senate leader, who argued the RCMP should be tasked with the job. more »
- How the weather info that storm chasers use can keep you safe
- Radar imagery and a stream of weather information are readily available to the public when severe weather bears down. more »
- What is 'Tornado Alley'?
- A tornado that generated winds as strong as 320 km/h and killed more than 20 people in Moore, Okla., on Monday fell in a geographical area of the U.S. generally known as 'Tornado Alley.' Here's a closer look at this storm-plagued region — and its counterparts in Canada. more »
Latest Arts & Entertainment News Headlines
- J.K. Rowling-annotated Harry Potter sells for $234K
- A first edition of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone with the author's scribbles about the Hogwart's coat of arms and other details of the wizarding universe sold for £150,000 ($234,000 Cdn) at a charity auction in London today. more »
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One
- The company unveiled the Xbox One, a next-generation entertainment console that promises to be the one system households will need for games, television, movies and other entertainment. It will go on sale later this year. more »
- Sheepdogs treat Victoria Day crowd to concert
- It was party time on Saskatoon's Broadway Avenue Monday afternoon, with native sons The Sheepdogs taking to the stage. more »
- David Sedaris finds humour in the everyday
- American writer and humorist David Sedaris manages to find humour in the perversity of everyday life. more »
- Pete Townshend on The Who's "Tommy" May. 21, 2013 2:32 PM
- Juvenile inmates benefiting from Russian literature May. 21, 2013 4:13 PM A juvenile correctional facility in Virginia has seen the behavioural benefits of encouraging their inmates to read the works of classic Russian writers like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky.
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One
- Deadly Oklahoma tornado confirmed as most powerful type
- Only 1 set of human remains found at Millard farm, police say
- Rob Ford faces more calls to address crack allegations
- Cloverdale Rodeo 'racist attack' investigated
- Kids from levelled Oklahoma schools recount deadly tornado
- One dead as floatplane overturns in Bute Inlet
- Yukon couple hold record for longest marriage in country
- Aboriginal woman settles lawsuit over 3½ years solitary confinement