Robert Wagner rebuffs police in new Natalie Wood probe
Lawyer cites 'those seeking to exploit' 30th anniversary of Wood's death
Posted: Jan 18, 2013 1:26 PM ET
Last Updated: Jan 18, 2013 1:16 PM ET
Actor Robert Wagner has repeatedly rebuffed efforts by Los Angeles investigators to interview him about his wife Natalie Wood’s death in 1981, an L.A. sheriff's spokesman said.
Detectives have interviewed more than 100 witnesses and gathered new evidence in the 13 months since reopening the inquest into Wood’s death.
Wood was on a yacht off 30 kilometres off Catalina Island with husband Robert Wagner and fellow actor Christopher Walken before somehow ending up in the water.Actor Robert Wagner, shown in 2002, declined further interviews in the probe of Natalie Wood's death. (Associated Press)
While Walken and yacht captain Dennis Davern have given new statements to police, Wagner has not, an investigator said.
“We reached out through his attorney and got rebuffed,” Sheriff's Lt. John Corina said. "We went to his home, and he refused to talk us, and we sent him a letter, so I say it is fair to say he has declined to be interviewed, repeatedly."
On Monday, the L.A. County coroner’s office announced it had changed the cause of Wood’s death to “undetermined” and noted bruising on her body that indicated she might have been injured before she went into the water and drowned.
Her death originally was ruled to be an accidental drowning, and it was believed she fell off the boat when she went on deck in the middle of the night to secure a dinghy that was banging against the yacht. Everyone on the boat had been drinking at the time of her death.
Wagner was interviewed several times by police in 1981, after her death.
Wagner’s attorney, Blair Berk, released a statement Thursday evening saying that Wagner and his family have fully co-operated with authorities.
“After 30 years, neither Mr. Wagner nor his daughters have any new information to add to this latest investigation, which was unfortunately prompted by those seeking to exploit and sensationalize the 30th anniversary of the death of his wife and their mother,” Berk said in the statement.
The renewed inquiry came after the yacht's captain Davern told 48 Hours and the Today show that he heard Wagner and Wood arguing the night of her disappearance.With files from The Associated Press
- Jedward on the MMVA red carpet by Laura Thompson Jun. 17, 2013 12:48 PM Cheerful pop duo Jedward had much to say to CBC News on the red carpet Sunday night at the Much Music Video Awards in Toronto. A lot of their excitement came from seeing Avril Lavigne, complete with spiky hairband. Check out the Irish twins in this video clip.
Top News Headlines
- Quebec premier says Montreal mayor should resign
- Quebec Premier Pauline Marois says Montreal Mayor Michael Applebaum should step down following his arrest this morning. more »
- Canadians jailed after Dominican post-wedding fight released
- Two Canadian men imprisoned in the Dominican Republic following a post-wedding brawl last month have been released and will be returning to Canada, a family member says. more »
- Northern Gateway in Canadians' interest, Enbridge tells review board
- Canada will be vulnerable to economic disaster should the Northern Gateway pipeline be rejected, the proponent told a federal review panel Monday as the final phase of public hearings got underway. more »
- MPs weigh in on Justin Trudeau charging speaking fees
- The New Brunswick charity that asked Liberal leader Justin Trudeau to return a speaking fee eight months after he appeared at a fundraiser has sparked a debate among MPs about the propriety of accepting money for what some say MPs should do for free. more »
Latest Arts & Entertainment News Headlines
- Psy, Swift, Lavigne, Drake, Bieber all take home MMVAs
- South Korean rapper Psy hosted in style, Drake dropped by for an unannounced visit and soon-to-be-wed Canadian music power couple Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger took a bow at the MuchMusic Video Awards. more »
- Neil Patrick Harris heads to Broadway as Hedwig
- Neil Patrick Harris, a four-time Tony Award host, will star on Broadway in the spring as the gender-bent rock chanteuse at the center of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, the cult musical that was made into a cult movie. more »
- Dave Chappelle poised for 13-city comedy tour
- Elusive, but popular comedian Dave Chappelle is set for a stand-up comedy comeback of sorts, co-headlining a 13-date tour with Flight of the Conchords. more »
- The National on Trouble Will Find Me
- Their success since the release of their 2007 album Boxer has bred a measure of confidence for Brooklyn-based band The National. more »
- The National performs live in studio Q Jun. 17, 2013 3:30 PM The indie rock giants play songs from their acclaimed sixth studio record, "Trouble Will Find Me".
- Michael Pollan: 'We watch people cook on TV more than we cook ourselves' Jun. 17, 2013 4:43 PM Food writer Michael Pollan chronicles his pilgrimages to people who are keeping culinary traditions alive in his new book Cooked.
- Quebec premier says Montreal mayor should resign
- Parents of son 'brutally beaten' playing hockey want charges
- The class photo that made a father cry
- B.C. teen dies on 200-km bike ride for charity
- Miss Utah wants U.S. to 'create education better'
- Rob Ford on having drink thrown at him: 'That hurt, man'
- Cigarette butt deposits proposed for B.C.
- Harper at odds with Russia over Syria as G8 leaders meet
- Nelson Mandela's wife thanks world for 'love, generosity'