Critics slam CBC proposal for ads on radio
Competitors call on CRTC to block CBC bid to run ads on Radio Two and Espace Musique
By Tom Parry, CBC News
Posted: Nov 29, 2012 7:41 PM ET
Last Updated: Nov 30, 2012 12:21 AM ET
The CBC will get another chance to explain why it should be allowed to sell advertisements on two of its radio networks when the corporation makes a presentation to Canada’s telecommunications regulator on Friday.
For more than a week, the CRTC has been hearing from those who have weighed in on the CBC’s bid to renew the licences for its various services for the next five years. One of the most contentious issues is a plan by the corporation to begin running ads on its English-language Radio 2 network and French-language Espace Musique.
The plan is facing stiff opposition from some of the CBC’s competitors.
On Thursday, the CRTC heard several submissions from broadcasters opposed to the proposition.
“I’ve got a lot of difficulty getting my head around an organization that can’t work on a billion-dollar-plus budget,” said Ross Porter, a former CBC host who is now president and CEO of Jazz FM 91, a Toronto radio station.
“I’ve got a hard time with them going out there and double-dipping and asking for donations from the Canadian public.”
Adam Fox, from Alberta public radio station CKUA, also voiced concern with the CBC plan. He said ad dollars on top of government funding will give the CBC an unfair advantage.
“CKUA is not afraid of competition, but this isn’t really a fair fight,” he said. “The playing field is pitched dramatically in favour of Radio 2 and its clearly superior resources.”
The Canadian Association of Broadcasters submitted its own written brief to the CRTC, urging it to reject ads on CBC Radio and calling the idea “ill-conceived.”
“The Radio Council is seriously concerned that approval of this application could, over time, create a precedent for the CBC to extend this request to other CBC radio services, including locally-based CBC Radio One and La Premiere Chaine," the broadcasters wrote.
The CBC had its financing cut by $115 million in the last federal budget. The corporation says running ads and allowing program sponsorship on Radio 2 and Espace Musique could provide $15 million in additional revenue in the first year and up to $35 million within seven years.
In his presentation to the CRTC last week, CBC president Hubert Lacroix warned the commission that if its request was rejected the corporation would have to find money elsewhere.
“We have no intention of closing those radio stations down but they will change in format and content,” Lacroix said. “It is going to be about the whole of the services of CBC, Radio-Canada being affected by this decision.”
Lacroix and other CBC bosses are expected to be back before the CRTC Friday to answer more questions as the commission wraps up its hearings. The CRTC will then consider the arguments and issue a decision by the spring.
- Horror tale Haunting Melissa targets app audiences by Jessica Wong May. 16, 2013 4:40 PM If you're seeking the weather, the news or a pic of what your buddy had for lunch, there are apps for that. What about an original, Hollywood-calibre ghost story from a producer of The Ring and Mulholland Drive? Now, there's an app for that, too. Haunting Melissa ventures into the burgeoning realm of digital storytelling as a traditional ghost story with a modern twist -- namely a tale that unfolds through an iOS app.
Top News Headlines
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Senator Pamela Wallin says she is recusing herself from the Conservative caucus while her travel expense claims are under scrutiny. Wallin's departure comes one day after Senator Mike Duffy left the Tory caucus amid controversy over his expense claims. more »
- Toronto mayor cancels weekly radio show
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford will not be hosting his weekly radio show this weekend after explosive allegations that he was recorded on video appearing to smoke crack cocaine. more »
- WHO concerned coronavirus spreading person to person
- The World Health Organization has issued a blunt assessment of the coronavirus outbreak in Saudi Arabia, acknowledging for the first time that there are concerns the virus may be spreading from person to person, at least in a limited way. more »
- Body found after fishing boat capsizes off New Brunswick
- A man's body has been found after a lobster fishing boat capsized off the eastern coast of New Brunswick. more »
Latest Arts & Entertainment News Headlines
- Thieves steal $1M worth of jewels during Cannes film festival
- Thieves ripped a safe from the wall of a hotel room near the Cannes Film Festival and made off with around $1 million worth of jewelry in a brazen late-night burglary. more »
- Tommy revival stirs emotions for Pete Townshend
- For Pete Townshend, watching the Stratford Festival's revamp of his hit rock opera Tommy stirs up difficult memories from his working-class, post-war upbringing. more »
- Vancouver's Stan Douglas wins $50K award for photography
- Vancouver's Stan Douglas has won the Scotiabank Photography Award, the $50,000 prize given annually to a Canadian contemporary photographer. more »
- FILM REVIEW: Star Trek Into Darkness
- J.J. Abrams beams back into Star Trek with the sequel Into Darkness, a new journey offering a mix of fun and familiar, anchored by the relationships of the classic characters. more »
- Pete Townshend on The Who's "Tommy" May. 17, 2013 4:15 PM
- Juvenile inmates benefiting from Russian literature May. 17, 2013 3:32 PM A juvenile correctional facility in Virginia has seen the behavioural benefits of encouraging their inmates to read the works of classic Russian writers like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky.
- Senator Pamela Wallin leaves Conservative caucus
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford denies crack cocaine allegations
- Milwaukee bar wins overturn of bra ban
- Tim Bosma public memorial Wednesday in Hamilton, Ont.
- Public raising funds to buy alleged Rob Ford crack video
- Afghan legislators block law protecting women
- Sailor fighting cancer says AWOL charges dropped
- Dennis Oland named as prime suspect in father's slaying
- RCMP has 'no interest' in discussing harassment suit settlement