Jennifer Aniston to wed actor Justin Theroux
The Associated Press
Posted: Aug 13, 2012 9:34 AM ET
Last Updated: Aug 13, 2012 9:40 AM ET
After years of breathless anticipation — at least on the part of the tabloids — Jennifer Aniston is finally ready to wed again.
Her representative, Stephen Huvane, confirmed Sunday night that the actress is engaged to her boyfriend of more than a year, Justin Theroux.
"Justin Theroux had an amazing birthday on Friday, receiving an extraordinary gift when his girlfriend, Jennifer Aniston, accepted his proposal of marriage," said Theroux's rep in a statement to People, which first reported the engagement.
Theroux, 41, and Aniston, 43, have known each other for years, but started dating more than a year ago after working on the comedy Wanderlust. Though that film disappeared quickly from movie theatres after its release earlier this year, the relationship clearly proved to have more staying power. The two moved in together and tabloids soon began predicting everything from marriage to babies for the new couple.
Aniston had been a part of such speculation for years, ever since the demise of her marriage to Brad Pitt after a five-year union in 2005. While Pitt moved on to a long-term relationship with Angelina Jolie, Aniston had high-profile relationships with the likes of John Mayer and Vince Vaughn that didn't last, leading to the common narrative: When will Jen find someone or have a child?
It's a theme that irked the former Friends actress.
"It's very narrow-minded, I think. It doesn't measure the level or my happiness or success in my life and my achievements or any of that," she told CBS This Morning earlier this year. In the same interview, she said she was happier than she'd ever been.
This will be Theroux's first marriage. It's not clear if a wedding date for the couple had been set.
Aniston's engagement comes four months after Pitt and Jolie announced their engagement.
Theroux, a Washington, D.C.-born actor, has also appeared in American Psycho and TV series Parks and Recreation. He is set to direct Zoolander 2.
- Jedward on the MMVA red carpet by Laura Thompson Jun. 17, 2013 12:48 PM Cheerful pop duo Jedward had much to say to CBC News on the red carpet Sunday night at the Much Music Video Awards in Toronto. A lot of their excitement came from seeing Avril Lavigne, complete with spiky hairband. Check out the Irish twins in this video clip.
Top News Headlines
- Sopranos star James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- Actor James Gandolfini, best known for his Emmy-winning portrayal of a conflicted New Jersey mob boss in the acclaimed HBO cable television series The Sopranos, has died while vacationing in Rome, the network said today. more »
- Canada buys rare War of 1812 collection for $573K
- The government of Canada was the winning bidder for a large collection of letters, maps and other papers that once belonged to Sir John Sherbrooke, the lieutenant-governor of Nova Scotia who conquered Maine for the British during the War of 1812. The collection sold for $573,000 at auction in London. more »
- Caregiving dads pay steep penalties at work, study says
- Fathers who participate in child rearing and housework are likely to be labeled slackers and "failed men" at work, according to a study spearheaded by researchers at the University of Toronto and Long Island University. Are active dads the norm at your workplace? more »
- Dozens of children seized from Manitoba Mennonite community
- Child welfare authorities have removed all but one child from a small Mennonite community in rural Manitoba. more »
Latest Arts & Entertainment News Headlines
- Monsters University's Billy Crystal, Dave Foley
- Pixar returns to the story of animated duo Mike and Sulley in this summer's Monsters University, with Billy Crystal and Dave Foley among the notable cast of actors lending their voices to the kids' film. more »
- Guillermo del Toro calls Pacific Rim a family movie
- Director Guillermo del Toro' monsters vs. machines movie Pacific Rim is a summer spectacle that sets out to be different from other movies of its kind. more »
- Laval's corrupt image scares off choral festival sponsors
- The founder and driving force behind Laval, Que.'s annual international choral festival says allegations of corruption at Laval city hall have driven away some of the festival's sponsors. more »
- Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
- A Milan court has convicted fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana of tax evasion, finding the pair guilty of failing to declare €1 billion ($1.37 billion Cdn) in income to authorities. more »
- Guillermo Del Toro's Monsters Jun. 19, 2013 1:47 PM The award winning director stops by Studio Q to chat about his upcoming blockbuster Pacific Rim.
- This summer's must-read mysteries Jun. 19, 2013 6:02 PM If you like a good thriller or whodunit to read while basking in the sun, then this roundup of books is for you!
- Bob Rae quits as MP in 'very emotional' decision
- Wearing a mask at a riot is now a crime
- 2 men jailed in Dominican wedding fight back in Canada
- B.C. teacher duct-taped students' mouths
- Obesity now recognized as a disease
- Half of First Nations children live in poverty
- Huge ancient city at Angkor Wat revealed by lasers
- Are e-cigarettes safe to puff?
- How open is Ottawa's new 'open data' website?