Russell Brand's Canada ban claim a joke
U.K. comic had plane problems, couldn't make it to Ontario show
Posted: Oct 2, 2011 12:55 PM ET
Last Updated: Oct 2, 2011 2:20 PM ET
Russell Brand made waves on the internet by tweeting he had been forced to postpone a show in Ontario because he was denied entry into Canada — but it turns out the British comedian was joking.
The 36-year-old comic, last seen in a remake of Arthur, told fans via Twitter on Saturday that his show at Casino Rama in Orillia, north of Toronto, had to be put off.
“I'm sorry. I can't enter Canada. We must abolish the borders between our nations AND our minds,” he posted.
"HELP! I'm gonna be late for Casino Rama show unless someone can force Canadian customs officials to let us land in Orillia!"
But after media reports of Brand's ban claim spread over the internet and in the media, the casino and Canadian border officials offered a different story.
Casino Rama said the U.K. funnyman was in California and his private jet was experiencing problems, making it difficult for him to get to Orillia in time.
In an email to CBC News on Sunday, a spokesman for Public Safety Minister Vic Toews confirmed the Canada Border Services Agency did not deny Brand entry into Canada.
"Apparently he had aircraft problems and was making a joke," spokesman Michael Patton wrote.
Despite the prank, it's not unusual for Brand to have problems in foreign countries.
In May, the performer was deported from Japan while visiting his pop singer wife Katy Perry on her Asian tour, due to prior criminal convictions.
A self-confessed heroin addict in recovery, Brand was arrested in 2001 and charged with criminal damage and indecent exposure after stripping naked while covering the May Day protests for MTV. Those charges were eventually dropped.
The comedian has a dozen arrests under his belt, including one for suspected battery charges after he allegedly attacked a photographer.
- Blake Shelton, Toby Keith boost benefits for Oklahoma by Susan Noakes May. 23, 2013 4:07 PM There are no dates yet and no lineup, but plans are in the works for benefit concerts supporting Oklahoma and the town of Moore, where tornadoes left a swath of destruction this week. Stepping up to spearhead the fundraisers are two Oklahoma boys: Blake Shelton and Toby Keith, who will likely lure country music's brightest into their efforts.
Top News Headlines
- Toronto mayor fired chief of staff for telling him to 'go away and get help'
- CBC News has learned the details of what precipitated the firing of Mark Towhey as Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's chief of staff — and it was advice from Towhey that Ford needs to 'get help.' more »
- Federal Court won't remove MPs over robocall allegations
- The Federal Court says it won't throw six MPs out of their seats over allegations of widespread vote suppression through automated robocalls in the 2011 federal election. But Judge Richard Mosley did find that fraud occurred in the election. more »
- Alleged Ford crack video seller not responding to calls
- The journalist who broke the story alleging Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was recorded on video smoking crack cocaine says he may never be able to get his hands on the evidence. more »
- Bridge collapse on Washington interstate drops cars into water
- An Interstate 5 bridge over a river north of Seattle collapsed Thursday evening, dumping vehicles and people into the water, the Washington State Patrol said. more »
Latest Arts & Entertainment News Headlines
- K'naan tries his hand at filmmaking with Sundance workshop
- Somali-Canadian rapper K'naan has long drawn musical inspiration from his troubled homeland. Now he says he's ready to make a film about his war-torn roots. more »
- Boos for violent Ryan Gosling film at Cannes
- The famously fickle Cannes audiences greeted Ryan Gosling's latest film, Only God Forgives, with boos, while Robert Redford received a standing ovation for All is Lost. more »
- Pussy Riot member denied parole despite Paul McCartney plea
- A Russian court has rejected parole for jailed Pussy Riot band member Maria Alekhina, despite a high-profile plea from former Beatle Paul McCartney and other top musicians. more »
- Photographer Wayne F. Miller captured black lives in 1940s
- Wayne F. Miller, the American photographer best known for his photo series The Way of the Northern Negro, which chronicled the lives of black Americans in Chicago after the Second World War, has died at the age of 94. more »
- Dan Brown's bizarre rituals May. 23, 2013 3:02 PM The author discusses his new novel, Inferno, and the ritual he performs when launching another book.
- Juvenile inmates benefiting from Russian literature May. 23, 2013 4:21 PM A juvenile correctional facility in Virginia has seen the behavioural benefits of encouraging their inmates to read the works of classic Russian writers like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky.
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of British soldier
- Duffy says he wants to give Canadians 'the whole story'
- Vancouver man abandons Porsche on B.C. ferry
- Chained-teen's mom wants man who pleaded guilty 'to suffer'
- Montreal lifts boil-water advisory
- B.C. teen saves pet dog in 'terrifying' cougar attack
- Neil Macdonald: Harper no Obama when it comes to dealing with scandals