Bieber's Aussie show cancelled by fan crush
Last Updated: Monday, April 26, 2010 | 10:27 AM ET
CBC News
The crowd of several thousand Australian Justin Bieber fans moved from the initial concert site of Circular Quay to Sydney's Martin Place in front of the Channel Seven studios to see the teen pop star. (Graham Denholm/Getty Images) Overzealous fans forced Australian police to cancel teen pop star Justin Bieber's free performance in Sydney on Monday morning, after several young people were crushed and trampled by the surging crowd awaiting him.
The chart-topping Canadian entertainer had been set to perform a three-song set outside the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Sydney's Circular Quay as part of an appearance for Sunrise, a show on local network Channel Seven.
Amid rumours that Bieber had arrived early for the show, fans began gathering at the site on Sunday evening. By 3 a.m. local time Monday, police estimated that a crowd of more than 3,000 fans — mostly young teenage girls — were pushing up against the safety barriers. The number later grew to an estimated 5,000 fans.
Several of the onlookers were crushed as the growing crowd breached the barriers and police decided to cancel the performance. According to reports, eight fans were taken to hospital for minor injuries, while dozens of others were treated on-site for hyperventilation.
The 16-year-old Bieber posted a message about his disappointment at the cancellation on Twitter.
"I woke up this morning to the police cancelling the show for safety reasons," he wrote. "I love it here in Australia ... and I want to sing."
'We had 12-, 13- and 14-year-olds [alone] at 3 and 4 a.m. in the morning. They were being crushed up against the barrier.'—Dave Owens, deputy police commissioner
Bieber later performed one song from inside the Channel Seven studios, where many fans had migrated after the cancellation of the Quay concert, billed as the teen star's sole Australian performance.
Police blamed lack of parental supervision and the disorderly crowd for the crush, with Deputy Police Commissioner Dave Owens describing the situation as out of control.
Justin Bieber, right, stands with a Channel Seven personality. After his original three-song outdoor concert in Sydney was cancelled early Monday, he performed one song from inside the Channel Seven studios. (Graham Denholm/Getty Images) "There were a number of parents down there [but] I would question why there weren't a larger number of parents," he told Australian press.
"We had 12-, 13- and 14-year-olds [alone] at 3 and 4 a.m. in the morning. They were being crushed up against the barrier... They wouldn't abide by our directions. They left us with no option [than to cancel]."
Channel Seven defended the security hired for the show.
"We hired the professionals who look after U2, Coldplay, Pink — the big acts," Sunrise weather presenter Grant Denyer told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
"Even they weren't equipped and just couldn't handle the Bieber fever."
In March, Bieber's manager, Scott (Scooter) Braun, surrendered to New York police over a similar incident in 2009 where fans gathered for a mall performance grew into an unruly throng.
New York police cancelled that event because of the wild, disorderly crowd, and allege that Braun and a record label executive delayed relaying a Twitter message to fans that the show had been cancelled.
Stratford, Ont.-born Bieber, who rose to fame after posting videos of himself singing on YouTube, released his first album, My World, in November 2009. His followup album, My World 2.0, debuted in March.
Share Tools
FILM REVIEW: Jack the Giant Slayer by Eli Glasner Mar. 3, 2013 10:40 AM Bryan Singer, a director known for his superhero cinema (including X-Men and Superman Returns), is injecting a dose of modern movie magic into the classic tale of Jack and the Beanstalk. Though Jack the Giant Slayer features a strong cast, the action adventure sacrifices story for spectacle, says Eli Glasner.
Top News Headlines
- Surrey Liberals call for B.C. Premier's resignation
- Over one hundred Liberal party members called for the resignation of B.C. Premier Christy Clark at a breakfast meeting in Surrey Sunday morning. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Pakistan bomb outside mosque kills 37
- Police say a car bomb has killed at least 37 people and wounded another 141 in a neighborhood dominated by Shia Muslims in the southern Pakistan city of Karachi. more »
- Liberal MPs Murray and Garneau challenge frontrunner Trudeau
- Liberal leadership hopefuls made a last-ditch effort to shore up support for their campaigns before tonight's midnight deadline in the fourth of five federal Liberal leadership debates in Halifax on Sunday. more »
Latest Arts & Entertainment News Headlines
- The Miracles founder, Motown singer Bobby Rogers dies
- Bobby Rogers, a founding member of Motown group The Miracles and a collaborator with Smokey Robinson, has died. He was 73. more »
- Jack the Giant Slayer sacrifices story for spectacle
- X-Men director Bryan Singer injects modern movie magic into Jack the Giant Slayer, but despite a strong cast, the action adventure sacrifices story for spectacle, says Eli Glasner. more »
- Why an Oscar-winning visual effects firm has gone broke
- VFX veteran Scott Ross explains to Day 6's Brent Bambury what led to the dire state of the industry today, why even Life of Pi's Oscar-winning firm Rhythm & Hues can go broke and what visual effects artists must do to turn things around. more »
- Justin Bieber: 19 key moments as the pop star turns 19
- Friday is Justin Bieber's 19th birthday and he faces a watershed moment: transitioning from pop upstart to credible adult artist with appeal beyond teen girls. CBC looks at 19 moments of his remarkable career so far. more »
Q Blog
Rebecca Marino on tennis and depression Mar. 1, 2013 4:34 PM
CBC Books
The future of the book Mar. 1, 2013 4:16 PM Journalists Sean Prpick and Dave Redel explore the rise of e-books, social reading, and whether they'll fundamentally change the way we consume and share stories.
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- Surrey Liberals call for B.C. Premier's resignation
- Queen in hospital with stomach ailment
- Iceland tests find meat pies contain no meat at all
- Dragon capsule docks at space station
- Highways close as snow storm hits southern Alberta
- Westjet strands flyers in Moncton during March break
- Italian coffee shop in Montreal in trouble with language watchdog
- Florida sinkhole threatens neighbouring homes


