The director behind the Spider-Man Broadway show is suing the producers of the rock musical for infringing on her creative input.

A lawyer for Julie Taymor issued a statement Tuesday saying that Taymor has not been awarded royalties for her directing duties after putting together the most expensive Broadway production ever.

"As the lawsuit filed today makes clear, the defendants have violated Ms. Taymor's creative rights as an author of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark," said Charles Spada, Taymor's lawyer.

"Moreover, the producers have failed to compensate Ms. Taymor for their continued use of her work to date."

Taymor, a Tony Award-winning theatre director, walked away from the production in March after disputes with the show's producers over the show's artistic direction.

Five people were injured in accidents during rehearsals and previews. The show had been in preview for more than three months without officially opening when producers shut it down for 3 1/2 weeks for a revamp.

Co-director Philip William McKinley eventually stepped in to make alterations to the show, but Taymor retained credits for "original direction" and was listed as having co-authored the script.

Producers Michael Cohl and Jeremiah J. Harris issued a statement later Tuesday denying that she has not been paid for her co-authorship.

"Since Ms. Taymor’s departure in March, we have repeatedly tried to resolve these issues," the statement said, adding, "fortunately the court system will provide, once and for all, an opportunity to resolve this dispute."