Spanish tenor Placido Domingo has renewed his commitment to the Los Angeles Opera, signing a contract to remain at the helm for another three years.
The opera company announced on Monday that Domingo will stay on as its general director through 2013, and that the contract holds a provision that it will automatically renew after that by mutual consent.
Domingo's current five-year contract was set to expire next June.
The operatic star been affiliated with Los Angeles Opera since it was founded in 1986, serving as its artistic adviser and performing in its inaugural production of Otello. He became its artistic director in 2000. In 2003, his title was changed to general director.
Domingo, 69, said he was "thrilled" to continue working with the company.
"As an artist who has been committed to the growth and development of LA Opera since its earliest days, I find my position here both creatively challenging and deeply rewarding, and I am proud to call this company home," he said in a press statement.
Los Angeles Opera chairman Mark Stern said Domingo's achievements have been astonishing, transforming the city from an "operatic no man's land."
Domingo also serves as the director of the Washington National Opera, although his contract with that company will end next year.
The sole performer left of the famed Three Tenors after Luciano Pavarotti died of cancer in 2007 and Jose Carreras announced his retirement last year, Domingo underwent surgery for colon cancer in March. He was back on stage in April.
The Los Angeles Opera is currently beginning its 25th anniversary season with the world premiere of Il Postino, which opens on Thursday. Domingo will sing one of the two tenor leads in Daniel Catan's operatic adaptation of the 1994 film, and it will mark the 134th role of his 42-year career.
He made his debut with the New York Metropolitan Opera in 1968.
In November, the Latin Recording Academy will honour Domingo with its Person of the Year award at the Latin Grammys in Las Vegas.