Bieber defends manager over unruly crowd incident
Failure to tweet cancellation promptly endangered kids, police allege
Last Updated: Thursday, March 25, 2010 | 11:06 AM ET
CBC News
Canadian pop sensation Justin Bieber, seen performing in New York on Monday, has defended his manager over the incident. (Bryan Bedder/Getty Images)Justin Bieber has come to the defence of his manager, who surrendered to police in New York on Wednesday over a scuttled 2009 appearance that drew an unruly, frenzied throng of the Canadian teen pop sensation's fans.
Scott (Scooter) Braun has entered a not guilty plea to a host of charges, including reckless endangerment, criminal nuisance and endangering the welfare of a child.
"My mother and I are 100 per cent behind my manager," 16-year-old Juno-nominated Bieber said in a statement Wednesday night.
"He is someone of high moral character and principle. The decisions he made that day were to protect the safety of myself and my fans and I am very thankful to have someone in my life who watches over me the way Scooter does."
The arrest stems from a scheduled November 2009 autograph signing at a mall in suburban New York. As fans gathered to wait for the Stratford, Ont.-born singer, some grew wild and disorderly. Police cancelled the event.
After fans refused to leave, officers contacted James Roppo, a senior vice-president at Island Def Jam Records (Bieber's label), and the singer's manager Braun to send out a Twitter message about the event being cancelled.
An hour later, still no message had been sent and the rowdy crowd remained. Five people were later taken to hospital with minor injuries.
According to police, Braun claimed to be in a meeting without access to a computer when contacted by authorities. When informed he faced arrest, he reportedly told officers to make sure they spelled his name right.
Braun sent two Twitter messages about the event being cancelled about 90 minutes later, according to the district attorney. The crowd dispersed about 15 minutes following these Tweets.
Braun's lawyer has argued that his client responded promptly to the police requests.
Roppo was also arrested and charged with misdemeanours, including endangering the welfare of children and obstructing governmental administration.
Bieber, who initially came to fame after posting videos of himself singing on YouTube, released his first album My World in November 2009. His followup album My World 2.0 debuted this week.
With files from The Associated PressShare Tools
FILM REVIEW: Jack the Giant Slayer by Eli Glasner Mar. 3, 2013 10:40 AM Bryan Singer, a director known for his superhero cinema (including X-Men and Superman Returns), is injecting a dose of modern movie magic into the classic tale of Jack and the Beanstalk. Though Jack the Giant Slayer features a strong cast, the action adventure sacrifices story for spectacle, says Eli Glasner.
Top News Headlines
- Surrey Liberals call for B.C. Premier's resignation
- Over one hundred Liberal party members called for the resignation of B.C. Premier Christy Clark at a breakfast meeting in Surrey Sunday morning. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Pakistan bomb outside mosque kills 37
- Police say a car bomb has killed at least 37 people and wounded another 141 in a neighborhood dominated by Shia Muslims in the southern Pakistan city of Karachi. more »
- Liberal MPs Murray and Garneau challenge frontrunner Trudeau
- Liberal leadership hopefuls made a last-ditch effort to shore up support for their campaigns before tonight's midnight deadline in the fourth of five federal Liberal leadership debates in Halifax on Sunday. more »
Latest Arts & Entertainment News Headlines
- The Miracles founder, Motown singer Bobby Rogers dies
- Bobby Rogers, a founding member of Motown group The Miracles and a collaborator with Smokey Robinson, has died. He was 73. more »
- Jack the Giant Slayer sacrifices story for spectacle
- X-Men director Bryan Singer injects modern movie magic into Jack the Giant Slayer, but despite a strong cast, the action adventure sacrifices story for spectacle, says Eli Glasner. more »
- Why an Oscar-winning visual effects firm has gone broke
- VFX veteran Scott Ross explains to Day 6's Brent Bambury what led to the dire state of the industry today, why even Life of Pi's Oscar-winning firm Rhythm & Hues can go broke and what visual effects artists must do to turn things around. more »
- Justin Bieber: 19 key moments as the pop star turns 19
- Friday is Justin Bieber's 19th birthday and he faces a watershed moment: transitioning from pop upstart to credible adult artist with appeal beyond teen girls. CBC looks at 19 moments of his remarkable career so far. more »
Q Blog
Rebecca Marino on tennis and depression Mar. 1, 2013 4:34 PM
CBC Books
The future of the book Mar. 1, 2013 4:16 PM Journalists Sean Prpick and Dave Redel explore the rise of e-books, social reading, and whether they'll fundamentally change the way we consume and share stories.
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- Surrey Liberals call for B.C. Premier's resignation
- Queen in hospital with stomach ailment
- Iceland tests find meat pies contain no meat at all
- Dragon capsule docks at space station
- Highways close as snow storm hits southern Alberta
- Westjet strands flyers in Moncton during March break
- Italian coffee shop in Montreal in trouble with language watchdog
- Florida sinkhole threatens neighbouring homes


