CBC shows This Hour Has 22 Minutes and Rick Mercer Report were both winners at this year's Canadian Comedy Awards.
The 20 trophies, sponsored by The Comedy Network, honour those working in three categories: film, television and live comedy.Awards for the eighth annual event were handed out at a Saturday night gala in London, Ont.
Henry Sarwer-Foner garnered a prize for best direction for an episode of Mercer Report while Kevin White, Mark Critch, Gary Pearson, Gavin Crawford, Jennifer Whalen, Carolyn Taylor, Albert Howell and Dave Nystromp with This Hour Has 22 Minutes were honoured for best writing (special or episode).
Bon Cop Bad Cop topped the film category, capturing three of the four awards in that section: best direction for Eric Canuel, male performance for Patrick Huard and a writing nod.
In the live category, Mike Wilmot was voted best male standup while Debra DiGiovanni nabbed top female standup.
The Sketchersons got best Sketch Troupe while Illustrated Men from Toronto were honoured as top Improv Troupe.
Other winners include:
- Best Newcomer — Standup: Jeff McEnery.
- Comedic Play: Plan Live from Outer Space.
- Best Direction —TV series: T.W. Peacocke, Rent-A-Goalie.
- Best Writing — TV series: Brent Butt, Mark Farrell, Paul Mather, Kevin White, Andrew Car, Robert Sheridan for Corner Gas.
- Male performance—TV : Eric Peterson, Corner Gas.
- Female performance—TV: Inga Cadranel, Rent-A-Goalie.