Adam Sandler's widely panned summertime comedy Grown Ups 2 leads the field for the dubious annual "honour" known as the Razzies.
Established in 1980 as a "logical antidote to Tinsel Town's annual glut of self-congratulatory awards," the Golden Raspberry Awards single out box office flops and terrible movie performances out of Hollywood in the past year.
This year's list of contenders range from past Oscar contenders such as Johnny Depp and Naomi Watts to up-and-comers Jaden Smith and Selena Gomez to "repeat offenders" Sandler, Lindsay Lohan, Tyler Perry and Sylvester Stallone, organizers said.
Sandler's Grown Ups 2 — a second instalment about reunited childhood friends that also starred comedy regulars Chris Rock, Kevin James and David Spade — picked up eight Razzie nominations, including for worst picture, worst sequel, worst ensemble and worst lead actor for Sandler.
Also tipped for the worst picture category are The Lone Ranger, A Madea Christmas, After Earth and Movie 43.
After Earth earned Will and Jaden Smith multiple nominations. Aside from the film's worst picture nomination, the younger Smith is a worst actor contender while dad is up for worst supporting actor. The father-and-son duo also share a nod as worst screen combo.
Hollywood heavyweight Sylvester Stallone nabbed his 31st Razzie nomination ever — a worst actor nod for a trio of movies released in 2013: Bullet to the Head, Escape Plan and Grudge Match.
The complete list of nominees:
- WORST PICTURE: After Earth; Grown Ups 2; The Lone Ranger; A Madea Christmas; Movie 43.
- WORST ACTOR: Johnny Depp, The Lone Ranger; Ashton Kutcher, Jobs; Adam Sandler, Grown Ups 2; Jaden Smith, After Earth; Sylvester Stallone, Bullet to the Head/Escape Plan/Grudge Match.
- WORST ACTRESS: Halle Berry, The Call/Movie 43; Selena Gomez, Getaway; Lindsay Lohan, The Canyons; Tyler Perry, A Madea Christmas; Naomi Watts, Diana/Movie 43.
- WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Chris Brown, Battle of the Year; Larry the Cable Guy, A Madea Christmas; Taylor Lautner, Grown Ups 2; Will Smith, After Earth; Nick Swardson, Grown Ups 2/A Haunted House.
- WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Salma Hayek, Grown Ups 2; Katherine Heigl, The Big Wedding; Kim Kardashian, Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor; Lady Gaga, Machete Kills; Lindsay Lohan, InAPPropriate Comedy/Scary Movie 5.
- WORST DIRECTOR: Dennis Dugan, Grown Ups 2; Tyler Perry, A Madea Christmas/Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor; M. Night Shyamalan, After Earth; Various, Movie 43; Gore Verbinski, The Lone Ranger.
- WORST SCREENPLAY: After Earth; Grown Ups 2; A Madea Christmas; Movie 43.
- WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF OR SEQUEL: Grown Ups 2; The Hangover Part III; The Lone Ranger; Scary Movie 5; The Smurfs 2.
- WORST SCREEN COMBO: The entire cast of Grown Ups 2; The entire cast of Movie 43; Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen, Scary Movie 5; Tyler Perry and Larry the Cable Guy or that worn out wig and dress, A Madea Christmas; Jaden Smith and Will Smith, After Earth.
Online voting by the approximately 750 members of the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation (located in the U.S. and 13 other countries) determined the nominees for eight of the nine categories.
The short list for worst screen combo was determined through voting by nearly 62,000 users of the popular movie review site Rottentomatoes.com.
The "winners" will be crowned on Saturday, March 1, at a Razzies ceremony held a day before this year's Oscars.
Though winners aren't usually in attendance, some have occasionally turned up, including Tom Green, Halle Berry and Sandra Bullock — who in 2010 became the first person to personally accept both a Razzie and an Oscar in the same weekend (for All About Steve and The Blind Side, respectively).