Justin Bieber and The Weeknd had an extra bounce in their step this evening at the Grammys in Los Angeles — both won trophies earlier in the ceremony before their televised performances.
Taylor Swift, who won album of the year for 1989, opened the 58th edition of the show and rapper Pitbull rounded it out alongside Robin Thicke and Travis Barker.
Hip-hop artist Kendrick Lamar, who won five Grammys, made a powerful statement with his performance. He approached the stage in handcuffs against a prison backdrop and left the audience with the final image of a map of Africa with "Compton" written on it.
The band Alabama Shakes was also a big winner, taking home three awards during the night.
Toronto native The Weeknd, whose real name is Abel Tesfaye, picked up two awards at the pre-televised ceremony: best R&B performance for the Fifty Shades of Grey song Earned It and best urban contemporary album for Beauty Behind the Madness.
Bieber, whose hometown is Stratford, Ont., won his first Grammy for best dance recording for the song Where Are U Now alongside EDM hit makers Diplo and Skrillex. They performed together on stage after Bieber did an acoustic rendition of his new song Love Yourself.
The beginning of Adele's All I Ask performance was plagued with audio issues, but that wasn't the case with Lady Gaga's electrifying tribute to the late David Bowie with a medley of his songs, including Fame and Heroes.
The piano mics fell on to the piano strings, that's what the guitar sound was. It made it sound out of tune. Shit happens. X— @Adele
There were also performance tributes to B.B. King, Glenn Frey of The Eagles and Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead, each of whom died within the past year.
RECORD OF THE YEAR
- Uptown Funk, Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars. WINNER
- Really Love, D'Angelo and the Vanguard.
- Thinking Out Loud, Ed Sheeran.
- Blank Space, Taylor Swift.
- Can't Feel My Face, The Weeknd.
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- 1989, Taylor Swift. WINNER
- Sound & Color, Alabama Shakes.
- To Pimp A Butterfly, Kendrick Lamar.
- Traveller, Chris Stapleton.
- Beauty Behind The Madness, The Weeknd.
SONG OF THE YEAR
- Thinking Out Loud, Ed Sheeran & Amy Wadge, songwriters (Ed Sheeran). WINNER
- Alright, Kendrick Duckworth, Kawan Prather, Mark Anthony Spears & Pharrell Williams, songwriters (Kendrick Lamar).
- Blank Space, Max Martin, Shellback & Taylor Swift, songwriters (Taylor Swift).
- Girl Crush, Hillary Lindsey, Lori McKenna & Liz Rose, songwriters (Little Big Town).
- See You Again, Andrew Cedar, Justin Franks, Charles Puth & Cameron Thomaz, songwriters (Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth).
BEST NEW ARTIST
- Meghan Trainor WINNER
- Courtney Barnett.
- James Bay.
- Sam Hunt.
- Tori Kelly.
BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE
- Don't Wanna Fight, Alabama Shakes. WINNER
- What Kind Of Man, Florence & The Machine.
- Something From Nothing, Foo Fighters.
- Ex's & Oh's, Elle King.
- Moaning Lisa Smile, Wolf Alice.
BEST RAP ALBUM
- To Pimp A Butterfly, Kendrick Lamar. WINNER
- 2014 Forest Hills Drive, J. Cole.
- Compton, Dr. Dre.
- If You're Reading This It's Too Late, Drake.
- The Pinkprint, Nicki Minaj.
BEST COUNTRY ALBUM
- Traveller, Chris Stapleton. WINNER
- Montevallo, Sam Hunt.
- Pain Killer, Little Big Town.
- The Blade, Ashley Monroe.
- Pageant Material, Kacey Musgraves.