One of Hollywood's glitziest awards shows takes place this weekend with Sunday's Golden Globes gala, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's annual celebration of the year's best in film and TV.
On the film side, the searing slave saga 12 Years a Slave and the Abscam crime story American Hustle lead the movie contenders, while Breaking Bad, House of Cards and Behind the Candelabra are top nominees vying for television honours.
Canadian actors Tatiana Maslany and Michael J. Fox are also among the small-screen competitors, Maslany for the sci-fi drama Orphan Black and Fox for the sitcom The Michael J. Fox Show.
Woody Allen is this year's recipient of the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement, though the iconic American filmmaker famously avoids award shows. Emma Stone and Diane Keaton, who appear in Allen's latest and best-known films respectively, will be on hand to pay tribute to the New York director.
Hosted for a second consecutive year by comedy stars Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, the 71st Annual Golden Globe Awards take place at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Sunday, beginning at 8 p.m. ET and airing on NBC and CTV.
Nominees for the 71st Golden Globe Awards:
- Drama: 12 Years a Slave, Captain Phillips, Gravity, Philomena, Rush.
- Musical or Comedy: American Hustle, Her, Inside Llewyn Davis, Nebraska, The Wolf of Wall Street.
- Actor, Drama: Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave; Idris Elba, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom; Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips; Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club; Robert Redford, All Is Lost.
- Actress, Drama: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine; Sandra Bullock, Gravity; Judi Dench, Philomena; Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks; Kate Winslet, Labor Day.
- Director: Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity; Paul Greengrass, Captain Phillips; Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave; Alexander Payne, Nebraska; David O. Russell, American Hustle.
- Actor, Musical or Comedy: Christian Bale, American Hustle; Bruce Dern, Nebraska; Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street; Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis; Joaquin Phoenix, Her.
- Actress, Musical or Comedy: Amy Adams, American Hustle; Julie Delpy, Before Midnight; Greta Gerwig, Frances Ha; Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Enough Said; Meryl Streep, August: Osage County.
- Supporting Actor: Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips; Daniel Bruhl, Rush; Bradley Cooper, American Hustle; Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave; Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club.
- Supporting Actress: Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine; Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle; Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave; Julia Roberts, August: Osage County; June Squibb, Nebraska.
- Foreign Language: Blue Is the Warmest Color; The Great Beauty, The Hunt, The Past, The Wind Rises.
- Animated Film: The Croods, Despicable Me 2, Frozen.
- Screenplay: Spike Jonze, Her; Bob Nelson, Nebraska; Jeff Pope and Steve Coogan, Philomena; John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave; Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell, American Hustle.
- Original Score: Alex Ebert, All Is Lost; Alex Heffes, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom; Steven Price, Gravity; John Williams, The Book Thief; Hans Zimmer, 12 Years a Slave.
- Original Song: Atlas (music and lyrics by Chris Martin, Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland and Will Champion), The Hunger Games: Catching Fire; Let it Go (music and lyrics by Kristen Anderson Lopez and Robert Lopez), Frozen; Ordinary Love (music by Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton, Larry Mullen Jr. and Brian Burton, lyrics by Bono), Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom; Please Mr. Kennedy (music and lyrics by Ed Rush, George Cromarty, T Bone Burnett, Justin Timberlake, Joel Coen and Ethan Coen), Inside Llewyn Davis; Sweeter Than Fiction (music and lyrics by Taylor Swift and Jack Antonoff), One Chance.
- Drama: Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, The Good Wife, House of Cards, Masters of Sex.
- Actor, Drama: Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad; Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan; Michael Sheen, Masters of Sex; Kevin Spacey, House of Cards.
- Actress, Drama: Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife; Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black; Taylor Schilling, Orange Is the New Black; Kerry Washington, Scandal; Robin Wright, House of Cards.
- Series, Musical or Comedy: The Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Girls, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation.
- Actress, Musical or Comedy: Zooey Deschanel, New Girl; Lena Dunham, Girls; Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie; Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep; Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation.
- Actor, Musical or Comedy: Jason Bateman, Arrested Development; Don Cheadle, House of Lies; Michael J. Fox, The Michael J. Fox Show; Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory; Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
- Miniseries or Movie: American Horror Story: Coven, Behind the Candelabra, Dancing on the Edge, Top of the Lake, White Queen.
- Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Helena Bonham Carter, Burton and Taylor; Rebecca Ferguson, White Queen; Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Coven; Helen Mirren, Phil Spector; Elisabeth Moss, Top of the Lake
- Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Matt Damon, Behind the Candelabra; Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra; Chiwetel Ejiofor, Dancing on the Edge; Idris Elba, Luther; Al Pacino, Phil Spector.
- Supporting Actress, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing on the Edge; Janet McTeer, White Queen; Hayden Panettiere, Nashville; Monica Potter, Parenthood; Sofia Vergara, Modern Family.
- Supporting Actor, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Josh Charles, The Good Wife; Rob Lowe, Behind the Candelabra; Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad; Corey Stoll, House of Cards; Jon Voight, Ray Donovan.