- Breaking Private investigators think Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered: source (Warning: disturbing details)
- Breaking Dalton McGuinty aide David Livingston found guilty in gas plants trial
- Breaking 3 former MMA rail workers acquitted in Lac-Mégantic disaster trial
- Breaking BREAKING: Jury has reached a verdict in the Lac-Mégantic rail disaster trial
- Breaking ANALYSIS: Reclusive U.S. billionaire helped Trump win the presidency — but what does he really want?
- Breaking Police announce arrest in case of 2 missing men in Toronto's gay village
- Breaking Correction: Indefinite solitary confinement in Canadian prisons ruled unconstitutional by B.C. court
- Breaking Solitary confinement in Canadian prisons ruled unconstitutional by B.C. court
- Breaking Bank of Canada hikes key interest rate to 1.25%
- Breaking North Korea, South Korea to form joint Olympic team and march together in opening ceremony, South Korea says
- Breaking Figure skaters Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir named Canada's flag-bearers at Pyeongchang Olympics
- Breaking 15-year-old boy caught in crossfire of Vancouver shooting dies
- Breaking Toronto police say alleged attack on 11-year-old girl in hijab did not happen as reported
- Breaking Rogers employees say managers turn a blind eye so call centre workers can cheat customers
- Breaking Hawaii says emergency alert about incoming ballistic missile was false alarm
- Breaking Watch as men's Olympic hockey team revealed
- Breaking North Korea, South Korea agree to hold talks on reducing military tensions
- Breaking 4 people dead in house fire east of Toronto
- Breaking Soulpepper head resigns amid sexual harassment allegations
- Breaking Father charged in deaths of B.C. sisters killed on Christmas Day
- Breaking Canadian theatre star steps down amid sexual harassment allegations
- Breaking Trump says former chief strategist Steve Bannon has “lost his mind,” in response to claims in new book
- Breaking Canadian theatre star being sued by 4 women who call him a "serial sexual predator"
- Breaking Joshua Boyle, former Canadian hostage, faces 15 criminal charges
- Breaking 5 police deputies hit, 1 dead in Colorado shooting
- Breaking Toronto Maple Leafs legend Johnny Bower dead at 93
- Breaking Translator accused of spying for Russia accompanied Ukraine PM to high-level meetings with Trudeau, officials
- Breaking Trudeau's visit to Aga Khan's private island violated ethics act, watchdog says
- Breaking 1 Canadian among at least 12 killed in Mexico bus crash
- Breaking Montreal couple cleared of terror charges, man guilty of explosives-related offence
- Breaking Amtrak train that derailed, killing 3, was going 80 km/h over speed limit, NTSB says
- Breaking Amtrak train derailment onto highway south of Seattle leaves at least 3 dead
- Breaking 'Injuries and casualties' in Amtrak train derailment south of Seattle, authorities say
- Breaking Toronto police release cause of death for billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman
- Breaking Apotex founder Barry Sherman, wife found dead in Toronto home
- Breaking 4 dead in helicopter crash near Tweed, Ont.
- Breaking Injuries reported after plane carrying 25 people crashes in Saskatchewan
- Developing How accused killer Dellen Millard wound up questioning his alleged victim's father
- Breaking Democrat Doug Jones projected to win U.S. Senate race over Republican Roy Moore
- Breaking 'You're attacked, you're hated': Former Halifax firefighter to get public apology for systemic discrimination
- Breaking The jury is out at the Laura Babcock trial. Here's what they didn't hear.
- Breaking Aging fighter jets to be replaced in mid-2020s, Liberals will buy used Aussie planes as stop gap
- Breaking Quebec jurist Richard Wagner named next Supreme Court chief justice
- Breaking Liberals reach deal with the provinces on sharing pot tax revenue
- Developing Roy Moore controversy spurs ex-fundamentalist Christians to reflect on adult-teen 'courtship' culture
- Breaking Suspect strapped bomb to his body in 'attempted terrorist attack' in NYC subway
- Breaking Location, location, location: How your health-care coverage is linked to where you live in Canada
- Breaking Toronto FC become 1st Canadian MLS Cup champions with 2-0 win over Seattle Sounders
- Breaking Sen. Al Franken to resign amid sexual misconduct allegations
- Live 'It is time to officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel,' Trump says
- Breaking Watch live as Trump makes Jerusalem announcement
- Breaking At this time 100 years ago, Halifax was in flames. Experience how the Halifax Explosion unfolded with our 360 video.
- Breaking IOC bans Russia from 2018 Winter Olympics, individual athletes will be able to compete as neutrals
- Breaking U.S. Supreme Court gives go ahead to Trump's travel ban
- Breaking Michael Flynn pleads guilty to lying to FBI
- Breaking Former U.S. national security adviser Michael Flynn charged with lying to the FBI
- Breaking Brian Mulroney raised part of funds for N.S. university from businessmen tied to bribery schemes, tax havens
- Breaking 'I feel so let down by Canada': Radiohead and drum tech's parents demand answers in his Toronto death
- Breaking Sheilah Martin named new justice to the Supreme Court of Canada
- Breaking UN war crimes defendant dies after claiming to take poison in court
- Breaking NBC fires Matt Lauer over 'inappropriate sexual behavior'
- Breaking Canadian man pleads guilty in massive Yahoo hack
- Breaking WATCH: Trudeau delivers historic apology to LGBT Canadians
- Breaking North Korea fires ballistic missile, says South Korean news agency
- Breaking Every year, hundreds of young Canadians are lured into the sex trade. We rode along with an anti-trafficking unit
- Breaking Toronto businessman's epic feud with Marvel CEO is fit for a comic book
- Breaking Watch live as Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make first public appearance after engagement confirmed
- Breaking Prince Harry, Meghan Markle engaged: Buckingham Palace confirms
- Breaking Toronto Argonauts win Grey Cup with 27-24 win over Calgary Stampeders
What is an Amber alert?
Amber alert is an alert system established in the United States – and since adopted in Canada – to publicize child abductions. It uses electronic highway signs and designated local broadcasters to announce the missing child's name and description, and the description of any vehicle or person who is suspected to be involved in the abduction. It's named after a Texas girl, Amber Hagerman, who was kidnapped and murdered near Dallas. The umbrella agency that oversees Amber alert has created the acronym for "America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response."
How does Amber alert work?
Local police prepare an alert containing information such as the child's and/or abductor's description and other relevant information. A special press release is sent to television and radio stations designated as "Amber Alert Broadcasters.” Getting the alert on the air immediately is a priority, as time is a factor in safe child rescues. Radio stations interrupt programming; TV stations may show a text "crawl" along the bottom of the screen. Roadside traffic pixel signs may show text or photos, depending on the technology available in the region.
Is Amber alert a national program?
Every province has jurisdictions that have signed on to the Amber programme. However, an Amber alert issued in one region does not necessarily become a national Missing Persons bulletin. If there is reason to suspect the child is in danger and maybe travelling across the country, RCMP may issue a national warrant. Usually, however, an Amber alert is restricted to a local area.
What is CBC's involvement in Amber alerts?
The CBC participates fully in notifying the public of an Amber alert. Each CBC location works actively with their local police force to ensure the timely delivery and accuracy of each alert. The CBC has also established a national protocol to ensure that Amber alert information can be received and delivered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.