I took this shot because the Amateur photographer in me recognized the elements of what might turn out to be a good photo. It was only many years after it was taken did I come to appreciate what a powerful shot it was. The subjects are my wife Willa, my daughter Nicola and my son Jack. My family. My wife leading our children, hand in hand, along this road at our cottage, is a metaphor, a representation of the best thing about me.

My life has value because I am a father, because I am a husband, because I am part of this family. The prospect of losing my place, of not remembering this road, my wife or my children is something I can't bring myself to contemplate.

This memory, this photo is priceless. It captures a time, when we were younger, stronger and just beginning our journey on life's long road.

Terry Seguin

CBC's Unforgettable Memories Photo contest

CBC in partnership with the Alzheimer Society of New Brunswick's 2013 Souvenir Gala, presents CBC's Unforgettable Memories photo contest. We're looking for digital photos of a place, person, event, or thing that you would never want to forget about, and then tell us why.

The winning photo will be chosen by public voting. The photo with the most votes will win CBC's Unforgettable Memories contest and will receive two tickets to the 2013 Souvenir Gala, held at the Fredericton Convention Centre on Saturday, October 5th, and have their picture printed and framed!

Select photos and stories will be featured on CBC News New Brunswick's meteorologist Kalin Mitchell's - Kalin's Pics segment.

Submit photos: September 13 - 27 at 12 noon AST

Voting: Voting takes place September 27th at 1:00 pm until September 30th at 12 midnight.

Read the contest rules here.

Stay Connected with CBC New Brunswick

In partnership with

Unforgettable Memories

What memories would you never want to lose?

Join us for the second annual Souvenir Gala, an exhibition & auction of unique photographs taken by unforgettable New Brunswickers, each photo representing a memory the photographer would never want to lose to dementia.

The Souvenir Gala takes place at the Fredericton Convention Centre, 670 Queen Street, Saturday, October 5, 2013

Champagne Reception & Exhibition: 6:00 pm

Dinner: 7:00 pm

Keynote Speaker: Ian Hanomansing

Live Auction to follow

Exhibition curated by Freeman Patterson.

Event in Support of the Alzheimer Society of New Brunswick, Presented by Thornton VanTassel, and for more information or to purchase tickets, please call 1-800-664-8411, or by e-mailing souvenir@alzheimernb.ca.