An untold story at Next Stage Theatre Festival and more...
On the Other Side of the World bring to the stage the relatively known story of Jewish refugees who fled Hitler's army and landed in Shanghai. That's just one of the events worth checking out this weekend:
Next Stage Theatre Festival
Jan 8 to Jan 19
This year, the festival offers a diverse selection of work that ranges from musicals to political dramas, from dystopian visions of the future to an urban dance show. While some of the shows have appeared at previous Fringe Festivals, most are new works by established Fringe artists who have demonstrated the passion and tenacity to take their work to the next stage.
For the complete line-up of plays, check out the Next Stage Theatre Festival website.
Toronto Poetry Slam
This is a twice-monthly spoken word competition, where the judges vote on each poem presented. This ain't your grandma's poetry! The event is all about ideas, with one in particular: people sharing poetry for everyone to enjoy. Best of all, anyone can slam! Just show up to sign up for 730 pm sharp.
For more information on rules and potentially making it to the Toronto Poetry Slam team, check out the Toronto Poetry Slam website.
Hands in the Bowl
Saturdays (10 to 11 AM)
Evergreen Brick Works
Sniff, taste, touch and play are key ingredients as you and your little one rolling up your sleeves as you learn to mix, grate, mash and then eat your delicious creations using only your hands!
For more information, check out the Evergreen Brick Works website.
No Pants Subway Ride and Dance Party 2014
Jan 12 (4 PM)
Meet at: Downsview Subway Station
55 cities. 29 countries. The annual global No Pants Subway Ride is happening January 12, 2014. (http://improveverywhere.com/ to see all the cities participating from Delhi to Barcelona.) Requirements for participation:
1) Willing to take pants off on subway
2) Able to keep a straight face about it
For more information on the Toronto version, check out the event's Facebook page.
In Concert: New Kingston
This band from Brooklyn blend NYC vibe with Jamaican sounds.
To sample some of their music, check out the New Kingston website.
Categories: Columnists, Past Episodes, What's On with Aparita Bhandari
|Radio One||Weekdays 5:30-8:30 a.m.(ET)|
- Sounds of the Season 2013
- Sounds of the Season is CBC's way of giving back to the community by helping those in need
- Off Course On Campus
- Mental health challenges face a growing number of post-secondary students
- Stuck in Traffic
- Will Toronto be a victim of our own success?
- Metro Morning turns 40!
- 40 years of what Toronto's talking about.
- Live from CAMH
- Visit a new neighbourhood focused on mental health in Queen West.
- Disappearing Daughters
- A study raises the issue of gender selection in local South Asian communities.
- A Fork in the Road
- A new role for government: the catalyst for collaboration.
- Turning Point
- Our town hall on family violence on March 29, 2010.
- Mary Wiens
- Listen to the latest report from Metro Morning's Mary Wiens.