A PROPER SEND-OFF - airs Monday, October 15 at 8:30 p.m. (9 p.m. NT) on CBC-TV and Wednesday, October 17 at 6:30 p.m. ET on documentary
A PROPER SEND-OFF, the 30-minute companion piece to MARCH TO THE TOP, is a compelling and emotional musical special featuring a fireside performance by Canadian country music star Paul Brandt. The program highlights the challenges faced by 12 wounded and ailing Canadian soldiers as they prepare to climb the 20,305 ft. high summit of Island Peak, a mountain south of Everest in the Himalayas. A PROPER SEND-OFF is a salute, a send-off and a musical tribute to the brave men and women who are about to embark on this incredible journey.
Throughout the special, Canadians will witness the soldiers final training days before the team sets out for Nepal. Discover the hopes, goals and apprehensions of these courageous heroes before they begin their remarkable conquest. In a final 'graduation' send-off, Paul Brandt performs in an intimate and rustic setting beneath the Rocky Mountains of Canmore, Alberta.
A PROPER SEND-OFF airs:
• Monday, Oct. 15 at 8:30p.m./9p.m. NT, on CBC TV
• Wednesday, Oct. 17 at 6:30p.m. ET/3:30p.m. PT, on documentary
• Wednesday, Oct. 17 at 9:30p.m. ET/6:30p.m. PT, on bold
• Saturday, Oct. 20 at 8:00p.m. ET/5p.m. PT, on CBC News Network
CBC's MARCH TO THE TOP is a groundbreaking, multi-platform programming event that follows the story of 12 wounded Canadian soldiers as they train and summit the 20,305 ft. high summit of Island Peak. MARCH TO THE TOP chronicles the journey as they embark on the climb and face their own personal rediscovery of self, and emotional, physical and mental rehabilitation. It's about what these soldiers are doing next in their lives, and what they need to do to get there.
MARCH TO THE TOP programming includes:
• CBC News follows the soldiers and their remarkable journey throughout October, 2012 and will be featured on CBC News Network, The National, CBC Radio, and online.
• The interactive MARCH TO THE TOP website, features exclusive stories, blogs, and videos of the soldiers in their quest for rehabilitation, and will chronicle their progress as they make their ascent to the summit.
• The exclusive, MARCH TO THE TOP feature-length film will air Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013 at 8 p.m.ET /8:30 p.m. NT on documentary, and the 60 minute documentary will air Monday, Feb. 18 at 8 p.m. ET/ 8:30 p.m. NT on CBC TV.
CBC Radio 2's Canada Live will feature music from A PROPER SEND-OFF on Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 7 p.m./7:30 NT
CBCMusic.ca: CBCMusic.ca features an interview with Paul Brandt, accompanied by 3 videos performed at the concert (Give It Away, Risk, Worth). In addition, CBC Music previews Brandt's new album 'Just As I Am' in its entirety, starting October 10th in advance of the October 16th release date, exclusively on CBCMusic.ca/country.
MARCH TO THE TOP is a collaborative project with TRUE PATRIOT LOVE, a national foundation that supports and honours members of the Canadian military and their families.
CBC/Radio-Canada is Canada's national public broadcaster and one of its largest cultural institutions. The Corporation is a leader in reaching Canadians on new platforms and delivers a comprehensive range of radio, television, Internet and satellite-based services. Deeply rooted in the regions, CBC/Radio-Canada is the only domestic broadcaster to offer diverse regional and cultural perspectives in English, French and eight Aboriginal languages.
For further information, or to request interviews, contact:
Corey Black, News and Current Affairs Publicist, CBC
All content including images on this site are intended for Media use only. For historical image resources, please contact the CBC Image Research Library, which has an extensive archive of still photography dating back to the 1950's.