1. When you enter your hotel room for the first time, do a quick inspection in all areas for signs of dirt, mould or insects. If any are found, hotels will often accommodate a room change if they are available.
2. Take off the bedspread and don't use it. In many cases, they are not clean.
3. Wipe down light switches, door handles and TV remotes before touching.
4. When placing your toiletries on the bathroom counter, place them on a hand towel rather than directly on the counter.
5. Rinse drinking glasses thoroughly with hot water before use. Or use paper cups if available.
6. Avoid using the coffee maker if it is located in the bathroom.
7. Place your suitcase on a luggage rack instead of on the bed or carpet to avoid the possibility of taking any bugs home with you.