Grain Recipes from Nutritionist Mary Sue Waisman
NUTTY AND FRUITY QUINOA SALAD WITH MAPLE VINAIGRETTE
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped apple
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup toasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup Maple Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and 2 cups water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl. Add almonds, apple, apricots, sunflower seeds, cranberries, raisins and mint; toss to combine. Pour in vinaigrette and toss gently to coat.
Nutrients Per Serving: 233 Calories, 8.3g Fat, 1.1g Saturated Fat, 29 mg (1%DV) Sodium, 36g Carboyhydrate, 4g (16%DV) Fiber, 6g Protein, 47 mg (4%DV) Calcium, 3.1 mg (22%DV) Iron
Diabetes Food Choice Values: 2 Carbohydrates, 1 1/2 Fats
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey mustard
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- In a jar, combine maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, oil and 2 tbsp water. Seal and shake until well blended.
- Store in a refrigerator for up to 1 week, shaking well before use. Makes 1 cup (250 mL)
- 2/3 cup pot barley
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/3 cup ground sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Prepare 9-by-5-inch (23 by 12.5cm) metal loaf pan, greased.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil over high heat. Stir in barley. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Drain and discard any excess water. Transfer barley to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add eggs, cheese, onion, celery, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, walnuts, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper to barley and stir to form a uniform mixture. Press gently into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes. Unmold onto a cutting board and cut into 8 slices. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrients Per Serving: 279 Calories, 16.7g Fat, 7.2g Saturated Fat, 355mg (15%DV) Sodium, 19g Carbohydrate, 5g (20%DV) Fiber, 15g Protein, 243mg (22%DV) Calcium, 2.1mg (15%DV) Iron
Diabetes Food Choice Valutes: 1 Carbohydrate, 1 1/2 Meat & Alternatives, 2 Fats
Click to download podcast
|Radio One||Weekdays 12 p.m. AT|