Twitter: #marchtothetop

Craig Tourangeau


My name is Craig Tourangeau. I am 45 years old. I was born October 22,1966 at the Civic Hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. I am the middle child of three. All of my family still live in Ottawa and surrounding area. I attended JS Woodsworth HS in Nepean, On. I completed Grade 12 in 1984. I really enjoyed going to high school and especially enjoyed the team sports. I played Football for four years wining the city championship two years out of the four. I also did track and field every year as a sprinter, long jumper and pole vault.

The military had interested me as far back I as I could remember. At the age of 17, I joined the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa- Militia unit. I remained with the unit until March of 1985 when I transferred to the regular Forces specifically the PPCLI(Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry). I attended Cornwallis, NS for my basic training. Upon completion of basic I was sent to Wainwright, AB for my Infantry trade training. In the fall of 1985 I was posted to 3rd Battalion PPCLI in Victoria, BC. I remained there until July of 1986 where I was posted to 2 Commando, Canadian Airborne Regiment. In 1988 I was promoted to the rank of Master Corporal. I remained with 2 CDO until the summer of 1990 when I was posted back to 3 PPCLI. In 1992 I was given the opportunity to attend Selection for Joint Task Force 2. In June of that same year I attended Ottawa and completed Selection. Several months later upon learning I was successful at Selection I returned to Ottawa and completed all training. In the fall of 1992 I was posted to the newly created unit of JTF2 at the rank of Sergeant . I remained with the unit until the fall of 1995.

In June 1994 I was on operational deployment in support of the Commonwealth Games which was being held in the Victoria, BC area. On June 9th I was part of a work up training exercise north of Victoria. It was that morning where I sustained a serious injury. A faulty diversion device (flash bang) exploded in my left hand. My hand was severely damaged and was amputated at the wrist. I also received a broken left elbow in the same incident. I returned to the Military Hospital in Ottawa and remained hospitalized for two months.

In the fall of 1995 I left the military for a teaching position at the Ontario Police College in Aylmer, ON. I remained there until the fall of 1996 when I became a member of the Toronto Police Service. I am in my 16th year and currently a member of the K9 unit.

By participating in this expedition I hope to show that injured/disabled veterans can accomplish great goals in life despite serious physical injuries through perseverance. I believe that by having a strong mindset and internal strengths you can achieve anything that you try. I believe this has been critical to my success in what I have achieved since my injury. I also am very proud to be part of a group of veterans that will be giving back by continuing to raise funds and awareness as part of The True Patriot Love Foundation.


Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are pre-moderated/reviewed and published according to our submission guidelines.