MANITOBA VOTES 2007

Story Tools: PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK

Your View

« Bring Back The Winnipeg Jets? | Main | What do you think the results of Tuesday night's election mean for the future of Manitoba? »

Leaders Debate

Comments (59)
Last Updated Thursday, May 17, 2007

What's your assessment of the leaders' performance in CBC's Leaders Debate?

This discussion is now Closed. View the Comments.

Comments (59)

John Jacobson

Brandon

This is a perfect situation to argue for proportional representation mitigated by the popular vote. It would give each unsuccessful voter an extra say in the composition of the Legislature. Each unsuccessful Party could nominate their own unsuccessful candidates to sit as independants on their side of the House whose legislative vote would not impact on bills and amendments tabled in the legislature. Some thought must be given to allowing parties like the Liberals and Green Party to have a seat-up in the Legislature. Unsuccessful Independant candidates should be offered serving positions in the operation of the Legislature should they be willing and able to serve. We must have better representation overall if we are to answer the needs of the population to be heard.

Posted May 22, 2007 10:02 PM

david

Winnipeg

Congrat's to Gary Doer and the NDP.

I am really suprised that the Conservatives would make such a bold statement regarding protecting Hydro, when the whole Conservative Ideology is "Less Government".
I guess the Conservatives will have to go back to the drawing board because their strategy of "Saying anthing it takes to win" had disasterous results.

David

Posted May 22, 2007 09:36 PM

Bruce

winnipeg

It's a sad sad day for health care in Manitoba. For the NDP I hope you can live with this. I hope you realy don't need a doctor because you won't have one when you need one.

Posted May 22, 2007 09:33 PM

Todd

Winnipeg

Hey Brent, who do you think these "candidates" are? They (if there are any) are real people from that area. A solution to your disappointment would have been to run yourself. The fact that nobody wants to represent the NDP in your area is a reflection of democracy - not a lack of it. If there is nobody there to "serve" you then.......well, you sound like an NDP in search of a "better" place to live. Good luck.

Posted May 22, 2007 08:51 PM

dallas bridgeman

Where's the hockey game CBC. Are you trying to lose viewers like NBC did to hockey game the other day!!! You can talk about the election tomorrow when it's actually over!!! You obviously don't care about hockey fans in Manitoba!!! What do you think is going to draw more viewers, Hockey or Politics??? First the government takes a shot at our Captain of Team Canada and now We don't even get to watch Hockey!!! This is bullcrapp and you'll be getting a lot more phone calls and e-mails, believe me!!!

*** Comment from CBC Moderator ***

Watch the hockey game LIVE on cbc.ca/sports/

Posted May 22, 2007 08:40 PM

Brent Boblinski

Sprague

I'm in the Emerson riding. As far as I'm concerned, I don't have a real vote or a real voice in this riding. This seat is a Tory stronghold. However, what bothers me is the NDP didn't even put up a fight to give the voters in this riding a choice. Less than three weeks before the election, I had someone from the NDP come to my door asking me to add my signature to a list so that the NDP could field a candidate. How can they put up a fight if they don't even have a candidate in line? As far as I'm concerned, the NDP undermined democracy in this riding by only fielding a "straw man" candidate.

Posted May 22, 2007 08:16 PM

Todd

Winnipeg

Wow, that's sad. What Claire is saying is that we'd be dead in the water if it wasn't for government providing our needs. This is how serious things have gotten. Your Utopia doesn't exist anymore Claire - That was USSR. Thankfully the majority of Canadians (I wish I could say Manoitoban's)still believe they can do better than government bread and potatoe allotments. By the way - the oil fields of Alberta have nothing to do with the government other than the billions in extraction royalties they receive. It takes the private sector to make that what it is - not the other way around. Today is the final day to stave off Manitoba's extinction - please vote responsibly.

Posted May 22, 2007 01:48 PM

J. William Hogan

Winnipeg

It is possible the PCs will sell Manitoba Hydro as well as MPI. I heard they want to lump those two crown corporations in with the Legislative buildings and put them up for sale on eBay.

Claire, it is ludicrous to compare Manitoba Hydro with Alberta's oil fields. It is equally ridiculous to assume the world will end should that happen.

We can argue until we're blue in the face about the merits of privatizing crown corporations. I say MTS is so much more today than it would be had it stayed publicly owned. You might not agree. The problem with such blanket statements is THERE IS NO WAY TO SAY FOR CERTAIN WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED...

I could also state that the NDP are going to ignore the RHPs for the next 4 years as they have the last 8 years. I'd be no more correct in this assumption as you are in fear mongering Hydro and MPI sell offs...

Why are there still people who can't see THIS?

Posted May 22, 2007 01:12 PM

Claire

winnipeg

The NDP should have dealt with the WRHA a long time ago. There is no question about that. They've had 8 years and something should have been done.

But the PC's will sell Hydro if they get the chance. I'd certainly bet on that. I think it is also very likely that they might privatize MPI. Then where would we be? Dead in the water. It would be like Alberta selling their oil fields. Why are there still people who can't see this?

Posted May 22, 2007 11:04 AM

Tony

Winnipeg

Just a thought. The NDP has had 8 years to clean up hallway medicine. The say that waiting times have been reduced. That might be the case since they called the election. From an insider, diagnostic test results that normally take a couple of months are getting done in three weeks..hmmm coincidence?? Think again

WE have had 8 years of NDP rule and why is it the poor in this province are getting poorer?

I don't understand how we can go through another 4 years of the NDP. They haven't done anything in the last 8.

Remember if you go to the polls, the NDP wants you to vote Liberal if you don't vote them. It splits the vote and Mr. Doer gets to run more people out of the province.

Posted May 22, 2007 06:19 AM

Todd

Winnipeg

Joe, I'm not sure who or what exactly you're referring to. I believe the gist of your statement is that government plays a necessary role in regulating certain markets/industries etc. How well does your textbook theory apply to necessary government "regulation" when they themselves are complicit with those few large industries such as the airline and gasoline suppliers? Government participation/interference creates those unnatural results with their ongoing support of Air Canada, for example. Is there a better example than WestJet of what the "free market" can deliver? How about the fact that the Fed's remain silent on the mystery of fuel pricing in Canada? As the chief benefactor of higher prices - they are complicit. Not even to mention the fact that they tax the taxes of fuel (GST'g the net). Nobody here needs to go to school on the government theory of economics - I think it's already evident that many have identified them as the problem and not a source of any looming solution. I think it's time we had a successful farmer run our government and not another lawyer. Thanks for your insight though.

Posted May 21, 2007 10:08 PM

David

Winnipeg

Gary Doer easily won the debate. He was well prepared and made sense. Mr. McFadyen looked lost and very poorly prepared. The Tories need to re-think their leader. Mr. Gerrard doesn't have the personality needed to be a leader. He's smart but just isn't convincing.

The NDP has my support in this election and I shudder to think what health care and education will be like if the Tories win!!!

Posted May 21, 2007 09:26 PM

Susan

Winnipeg

I ran into Jon Gerrard @ 7:15am on Sunday and I said, "We need to discuss domestic violence." After a moment of SILENCE he said, "You're right". Lets see if he mentions this BEFORE the election. NO POLITICIAN will touch this subject even after I forwarded the Governor General's speech on May 9 in London, Ont regarding domestic violence and abuse of children. We are in a society of DENIAL---much like Colin Thatcher (x-con, x-politician).

Posted May 21, 2007 05:48 AM

dwayne

winnipeg

The debate was, as usual, more heat than light with no clear winner. However, I did get a laugh at Mr. McFayden's implication that (with regards to healthcare) we need to learn from our mistakes by looking to the future. Perhaps his supernatural abilities extend beyond bringing back NHL hockey.

Posted May 20, 2007 04:24 PM

Craig

Winnipeg

Doer clearly won the debate. McFadyen came across as a rank amateur who has no business leading a political party. Based on the Conservative's last government with Filmon AND McFadyen, we can only hope that Manitobans will return the Doer government to power.

Posted May 20, 2007 11:22 AM

Joe

Winnipeg

I find the repeated references to "the market" embedded in a number of the preceding commentaries annoying, misleading and at odds with neoclassical economic theory. Why you ask? Simply put, any market that may be characterized as having a small number of sellers/buyers (e.g. gas station chains, phone service companies, computer software manufacturers, aircraft etc.) is an example of market failure. In precise economic terms this is called oligopoly, a structure which features enormous market power i.e. to set or influence buying prices(e.g. the big 4 international grain companies) or selling prices (oil and gas conglomerates like Exxon, Shell and BP).

Free and truly functioning markets have thousand of buyers and sellers and hence no one entirely can influence either selling or buying price of a good or service.

Unfortunately a huge number of sectors in our modern economy feature markets which are oligopolies. This is not new which is why the regulatory function of governments (a global phenomena) is frequently supported by consumers and smaller companies in many jurisdiction. As history showed the alternative was often predatory(below cost)pricing to drive your competitors out of business or unregulated monopoly style pricing to extract the maximum from the consumer.

The frequent mindless faith based economic musings that cry out - "let the market do it" speak to something that does not widely exist.

A point lost on these ideologues is that
notions of economic efficiency are based on that rarest of creatures - the free market - which like the unicorn resides in hearts of children and many far right economic adolescents.

Posted May 20, 2007 10:37 AM

Carlos

Winnipeg

It's only a few days until the province votes for a new leader. All parties are making ridiculous promises and they know full right that they cannot meet them all. So why make it sound good? Why do they have to bash each other so their own party sounds like the saviour of Manitoba? They should stop shovelling the crap to Manitobans and start doing some REAL work to save this province. Why not pick only 3 real solutions and promise 3 intelligent ideas. Stop throwing crap like bringing the Jets back and the "I will save health care tomorrow" garbage. You can't bring the Jets back anyway and health care will always fall short as long as the regional health authority farts off our federal handouts. I am sick and tired of stupid promises and after they spend the next 4 years discussing them with no end results. GIVE US REAL SOLUTIONS! People who run this province should grab a brain!

Posted May 20, 2007 02:56 AM

Pat

Winnipeg

I am still laughing about chicken outfit. Good Lord, I hope the actual political party leader did not condone this pathetic joke. It does make a mockery of what came first the Chicken or the egg. Or why did the Chicken cross the road?...or was that "The Sky is falling... the sky is falling?.. Every time I think this couldn't turn into another barn yard mess someone turns it up a notch.

And these are our choices?... a Don'ter, a Chicken, and a IwannaBe

Posted May 19, 2007 11:54 PM

Jerad

When it comes to healthcare, I put my trust into a man who has worked in the system as a paediatrician for many years. He out of anyone knows the healthcare system and how he can deliver a better service to Manitobans.

Dr. Gerrard can count my vote.

Posted May 19, 2007 09:26 PM

George

As I listen to the debate Hugh continues to avoid the questions when he was asked and he would not listen and that was the way the previous pc's in the early 90's operated. All the pc's think about is the rich never mind the working poor.

As for Jon he continued the hey and well game which made no sense.

As for Gary he explained every question clearly. clear enough to understand.

As for the NHL fans it would be nice to have an NHL team here but it would probably cost $150.oo to $200.oo a seat and why does,nt Winnipeg have a NHL TEAM.

Posted May 19, 2007 06:14 PM

J. William Hogan

Winnipeg

I read with disappointment Gary Doer’s characterization of his opponents as "Mr. Reckless and Dr. Fantasy." Is it any wonder the populace is so disillusioned with politics today?

As a recent returnee to my hometown and home province I have followed the provincial election with great interest knowing the results could have a profound impact upon us all.

The utter lack of respect from the leader of the incumbent government to his colleagues, his refusal to debate fairly in an open forum and to continually misdirect and confuse is a biting indictment of his character. Doer’s arrogance should not go rewarded.

I urge all citizens to vote and vote judiciously.

Posted May 19, 2007 07:59 AM

Frieda

St.Laurent

What nonsense about not having a choice:

Winnipeg Jets/Conservatives vs. New Womens' Hospital/NDP.

That is a choice, that shows priorities.

Posted May 18, 2007 06:14 PM

Bruce

winnipeg

Anyone that votes NDP better pray they don't get real sick and I mean not like the flue but real sick like M.S. or some real bad thing and then see what Doer has done for us. Want the real truth how bad the medical system is just ask your doctor or any ER nurse. Doer can only blame the PC party for so long. He has had 8 years and I can tell you speaking for someone that is real sick the system is worse now than it was 8 years ago. The NDP say forward not back well I would like to go back. The funny thing is that I seen a sign on Henderson hwy. that said save our health care, and that is a NDP sign. Well I do agree with that sign. We need to save it from the NDP.

Posted May 18, 2007 04:59 PM

Todd

Winnipeg

Here! Here! J. William. Do you also see a contradiction in the obvious left-right divide in Manitoba - the left lacks the necessary spirited energy that it will take to make this a viable province. By spirited energy I mean "What can you do for Manitoba and not what Manitoba can do for you". Any more left-rhetoric about the old elephant MTS just exemplifies this. What did our pioneers do when they couldn't sit on their hands and blame the previous generation for their wants and needs? Well, they just didn't - that was before politicians hijacked the spirit and personal responsibilities of the masses (some of us anyway).

Posted May 18, 2007 03:19 PM

J. William Hogan

Winnipeg

Roseanne, we meet again. I think Todd covered part of the answer for you. You should have considered what services were available to you before moving...

In any event, I don't think you're being perfectly candid with us. I don't believe you do not have ANY telephone service where you live "for weeks on end". I suspect you have occasions, as do ALL of us, where service is lost.

Deregulation and private business got you better telephone, cable, internet and other services at ever-improving prices. Even in that incredibly remote area you call Interlake.

As for competition, and as a favour to a fellow bloggist, I checked the cellular networks range in Manitoba. While not 100% certainly the Interlake seems well covered.

Lastly Roseanne, how can you be so certain that your telephone service would be BETTER under the publicly owned MTS?

- cheers

Posted May 18, 2007 02:27 PM

Todd

Winnipeg

Rozanne I have a great idea. The Rozanne Telecom Company. Why not get your friends together and put up a tower in your community? I myself live outside the perimeter however in an area that's serviced. I didn't consider it an option to locate elsewhere and then start a campaign of demand for services. Life is too short to live it backwards. By the way - MTS is still a poor performer in their industry (have you experienced any of their "services"?) try calling 411 or any of their numbers with your questions. The CRTC will deregulate the losers right out of business soon enough and then the door is wide open for your new company.

Posted May 18, 2007 01:00 PM

todd

Winnipeg

The polarity of voters has never been stronger in Manitoba. The reason for this becomes evident when you read the streams on this site. We now have 50% of the population that believes in a nanny state of government and the other half that's fighting to save them from that peril. This is where democracy gets dangerous - when they outnumber us. One would think that the former USSR would have been evidence enough for the end of government-led social experiments. When we can't even demand of our governors that they not put violent criminals in our neighbourhoods then there is a greater issue to address. We don't need to dissect any more Charter issues for special interests or hold yet more commissions - we need a revolution that results in a new understanding between the people and it's elected officials. Now's our chance to at least take one step in that direction. One other thing - the leaders are clear about one thing - they are impotent when it comes to the issues that matter to us most therefore of what relevance are they? With this revelation, the obvious choice is to support our Federal Conservative's by way of supporting the provincial party. No other Federal party has indicated the need and thirst for serious change.

Posted May 18, 2007 12:52 PM

Rozanne

Intelake

Now that that's out of the way! Let's get back to what the question is about, the Leaders' debate.

The debate was humdrum to say the least. I have to agree with only one person on this blog Daniel Galay. The CBC was the biggest loser, every time it got going they inserted some stupid advertising, I would flip a channel flip back and miss out on the first few words being said. SHAME on them.

This Public Service Forum could easily have been aired as a non-stop event.

Posted May 18, 2007 12:30 PM

Rozanne

Interlake

Todd, you have that mentality of the many who experience what we call PERIMETERITIS! You keep saying the people of Manitoba are better of with the sale of MTS (since they are now more competitive). Tell that to communities who do not get ANY Service for weeks on end from this newly formed corporation because we just don't have the numbers to be of importance (AND THERE IS NO OTHER COMPETITION OUT HERE)! so they can do what they want. Telecommunications have become a basic need one which is not being met, and I hope people have very long memories 'cause we ARE THE PEOPLE OF MANITOBA TOO!

Posted May 18, 2007 12:11 PM

Robert

Winnipeg

Sometimes I think we need even more of these blogs to get the truth out as I am seeing less than objective reporting out there. Yesterday after the leader's debate in the CBC building there was a media scrum with each leader. A reporter (I could not tell from what station) asked Doer what he thought of his opponents spending promises. Which of course is the perfect lead in to him bashing the liberals and PC platforms. The reporter then goes to Gerrard and says to him (paraphrasing here) -You have pledged to spend $900 million which is easy to do with all the federal transfer money. What are you going to do when that money runs out? Did Doer personally write out the script for this journalist. I guess the reporter had never heard of unbiased reporting. I felt like I was watching a couple friends talking over a beer instead of a news reporter who should be asking tough questions of a person who has been in power for 8 yrs and should be held to answer for the state of our province. We as citizens deserve to have our questions answered. Individually we do not have access to the Doer and so we depend on the news media. They have failed us miserably.

Posted May 18, 2007 11:34 AM

Jeremy

Winnipeg

I can't believe anyone can vote NDP. You've got to be kidding me. Seriously Dawn...."The smart money is betting on the NDP". Tell me what they have done for Manitoba... Gary Doer promised an end to Hallway Medicine.... funny how that never happened. An NDP vote is a lazy vote made by people who are either too lazy to study issues themselves and are easily swayed by Gary's Fear driven headlines... or... care only about what they can get for free and don't give a rip about the well being of Manitoba as a whole. And if it is so smart to vote NDP... why can't your leader talk about one issue without pointing fingers at everyone else.... The conservatives and liberals each have presented there platforms.... but all we hear is the feds need to do this..... Gary Filmon did this.... the conservatives and liberals are reckless for proposing this.... and you NDP supporters buy into that.... it's garbage politics for lazy minded people. He said the same thing about Gary Filmons Billion dollar tax cut promise when they finally beat Filmon.... Funny how the studies now show that plan would have worked.... I challenge Gary Doer to do the final 4 days of this campaign without running ads or talking about others..... if you're the best choice Gary.... run the rest on your campaign on your platform... and how you're going to make Manitoba better.... He can't!!! He can't win an election on something he doesn't have ..... and that's a plan..... too bad he'll probably win because most people buy into his scare tactics.

Posted May 18, 2007 10:56 AM

Pat

Winnipeg

Good Grief, still fear mongering and finger pointing. Don'ter has done nothing about the problems that existed because of prior governments. He has had increased billion dollar transfer payments, user fees, taxes, hidden taxes and has pilfered the larders of Hydro.... Oh wait..... It's a crown corporation, so it's not theft.... it's BORROWING???
Doer has had more funds available than any other party and the NDP flaunters want everyone to be so grateful for the meager crumbs they have given us in return.
We're not that blind and Crown corps are just another way government can support the back room deals of make work unions, special interest as well as embezzle the tax payers dollars. Good Creative Accounting.... bad business.

Posted May 18, 2007 07:30 AM

J. Winnipeg Hogan

Winnipeg

The challenge we voters face is the incredible misinformation spreading through this province right now. Fearmongering and outright misdirection leading many to actually believe the garbage being spouted by so many...

Dawn, me thinks it is you that misses the point both on economic development and on the economies of Southern Manitoba.

The reason Thompson is a "boomtown" is not because of Doer's policies, rather in spite of them! People are moving to Thompson and working because of the huge spending by the mining and development companies (big business). These jobs pay quite handsomely and create collateral spin off such as a spanking new Safeway with its neat-o Starbucks cafe.

I can assure you Dawn, significant development of the Hospital would NOT LIKELY be happening without this business generated windfall.

I'd like to know upon which facts you base your declaration "Rural Southern Manitoba is an economic drag...". This is the fastest growing region in Manitoba. Indeed, one Southern Manitoba community is amongst the fastest growing in Canada. The businesses in Steinbach, Morden, Winkler are booming. This is a drag on the economy?

I'll defer to you immediately upon presentation of facts to the contrary.

As for any credit upgrades Dawn, take a look at the monies pouring into the Provincial coffers through Federal transfers.

I wonder just how our credit ratings would look with a billion or two less from Uncle Steven and the Feds???

North of 53 asks us to THINK. Credibility is a fleeting thing when told that Crocus and all the ills Doer inherited EIGHT years ago should still be political issues now. How long, Mr. 53, will it take Doer and the NDP to fix 'em? Great job indeed.

Right back at ya...

Posted May 18, 2007 06:48 AM

Edward

As I wached the debate I saw Hugh Mcfadin a ridal show. Where he would not answer the qustion and there you could see he had the idea of cut here and there and as for Jon you can see he repeats qustions the same way as all the qustions he is asked and as for Gary he stood his ground and puts health first and the youth and the elderly and education for everyone.

Posted May 18, 2007 05:58 AM

Dawn Kaur

Winnipeg

Hey Todd, for someone who worships the market you seem to miss the point entirely. Would not investing in the region that generates your economic growth be the smart, capitalist thing to do?

Check out the Free Press Business Section yesterday - Thompson has one of the hottest local economies in Canada right now. Rural southern Manitoba is an economic drag on Wpg and the North right now - a smart businessman wouldn't invest there. But then again no one should ever confuse smart business sense with the Tories - Bring back the Jets? LOL

PS - I love all those credit upgradings for Manitoba by bond rating agencies over he last few years as well. The "smart money" is betting on the NDP

Posted May 18, 2007 12:55 AM

Todd

Winnipeg

I just don't get these references to MTS. What is your point - that it should have remained a crown-owned corporation? Why? The government has no place in a competitive market. Competition brings about levels of service and necessary efficiencies (and I don't mean collective bargaining agreements) that are out of reach of a bureaucracy. That was a good deal and it's done. You say because the resources come from the north then that region should receive equal attention as far as roads and services. Do you understand the reality of economics? Paving and maintaining roads for hundreds of hamlets and municipalities is not feasible - your only big brother (Winnipeg) is weak and growing weaker. Thank your rich uncle (the Feds) for what has come your way. Do you think the dusty towns of past grew with donor funds from elsewhere or from their own economic development? Obviously the latter. That's a fact of life. Go ahead and vote NDP - the price your kids will have to pay later for a massive socio-economic reality-check will just be greater.

Posted May 17, 2007 10:59 PM

North of 53

Wow--the ones that have commented on here have no idea what the NDP under the leadership of Gary Doer had to clean up and give back to Northern Manitoba. The Conservatives were so busy spending money on little back lane types of highways in and around Winnipeg and the NDP are trying to fix our roads in the North that the Tories did not do anything for. Everything that is being complained about on here is what the Conservatives created, like the RHA and their high wages for doing nothing to improve Health Care. Remember Connie Curran (sp? sorry) WHAT A WASTE! We have MLAs that care in Northern and Southern Manitoba with a Leader that cares as much for the Aboriginals/Caucasians in both the North and South of Manitoba. Face it, Filmon and the ones of the same party before him created the mess. Gary Doer WILL fix it without taking anything away from Winnipeg. Did you not see what Hugh McFadyen said about the highway budget on May 11, 2007 in Brandon? He would take the highway budget away from the North and fix the roads in the South where the need and economics were greater? At least you have roads in the South! Where do you think the resources come from in our great province? Hydro? Mining? Forestry? I guess he knows he cannot get the vote in the North so try and impress the South more. Gary Doer can be very proud of himself and his Members under his Leadership. Dr. Gerard (although he will not gain many if any at all) was a better person to listen to then McFadyen any day except for the blaming of crime on Manitoba Housing. Blame the BIG guys that bring the drugs and guns in to this Province and stop blaming the ones that live in poverty for all the crime. Well, I could go on and on but VOTE on May 22, 2007 and VOTE for the NDP! Bring Doer and his MLAs back to where they were doing a great job.

BTW, Hugh McFadyen was the policy chief under Filmon. Does that not tell you anything? I am speaking of Crocus and MTS and again on and on! Think!

Posted May 17, 2007 10:15 PM

todd

Winnipeg

What a waste of everybody's time that was. When the leaders, especially the reigning premier, are prepared to face the questions of the people in a live question and answer period then I will consider it meaningful. The crime and punishment segment was utterly disgraceful. When will a politician express the will of the people rather than dance away from it. I just don't understand why they don't start speaking and acting on our demands to be kept safe from criminals. This is political correctness gone mad. When one of them snaps out of it I dare say they will be the Tommy Douglas of this sad sack political era. I can't wait any longer. Maybe I'll do it myself.

Posted May 17, 2007 09:27 PM

Daniel Galay

Gary Doer and Jon Gerrard performed quite well. Hugh McFadyen lived up to low expectations and will likely be a short-lived leader. The real loser was the CBC that repeatedly interrupted this important public service program with commercial breaks. Every time informative exchanges occurred between the leaders the CBC would break to bombard us with nonsense, demeaning the whole process. No wonder voter turnout is falling. A dismal performance by our so-called public broadcaster.

Posted May 17, 2007 08:38 PM

Bria

Winnipeg

Why was the Green Party not present at this debate? Hopefully it is not because they were not invited by CBC!

Posted May 17, 2007 08:07 PM

Jim

Hugh McFadyen needs to get a lot more aggressive. He's new and he'll learn. Jon Gerrard needs to be more serious and stop the "Hey!" message he gives at the beginning of a question. As for Gary Doer...too relaxed. Here's a quote I won't forget for awhile..." I say yes, he says no and he says fuzzy." Oh my. You get four more, Mr. Doer. One small bit of advice: Be very careful not to get a swelled head. It's not like it has happened to any Premier before. Ya Right.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:58 PM

shirley

winnipeg

Doer is a liar. We have lost more doctors the last eight years than he's hired. Just ask my wife who goes to the M.S. clinc and waits one year to see a doctor and then it's for ten minutes because the doctor has 30 people
waiting. I want Doer to come down to the M.S.
clinic and tell us that things are getting much better.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:43 PM

Normand G. LaBine

...Part Two:

...Let's get real here! We don't have an automobile producer, except a couple of trailer assemblers and a bus assembly plant who makes some units that use hybrid engines (New Flyer). If we're going to be a guinea-pig model to deploy strict emissions standards, at least we don't have to be worried about upsetting a powerful auto industry or its labour force. Let's inspire local genius by providing a forum, a provincially-sponsored blog where car enthusiasts, farmers, small business and large industry can merge their best solutions to get results, far more efficiently, and speedily than all the CO2 produced in Ottawa or the Legislature or another Bureaucracy could ever achieve, without taxing or adding extra carrot/stick systems that cost more in tax revenues to an underpaid workforce.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:37 PM

Len Sawatsky

Winnipeg

Gary Doer ought to be ashamed of himself when, as was the case on the CBC debate, the Liberal party appears to be more progressive and enlightened than the NDP. This was especially demonstrated in the justice portion of the debate. I never thought I would see the day when a Liberal leader would chastise the NDP about their lack of action on social justice issues. The retributive justice system so admired by both Doer and McFadyen has shown itself to be bankrupt both morally and in terms of cost to the taxpayer. The only party fearlessly endorsing restorative justice principles was not represented in the debate, that being the Green Party. Even more embarassing is that none of the three leaders in the debate mentioned how Aboriginal people would be impacted by the four discussion areas: health, justice, economics and environment, all of which are totally relevant to Aboriginal people.

The overwhelming factor that comes out of this debate is how regressive the Manitoba NDP has become, at least as represented by its current leader. No vision, no original principles, no distinct identity.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:36 PM

Normand G. LaBine

Part One:
There's a rumour that Manitoba would adopt the California Emissions Standards to comply with Kyoto Protocol Emission Standards. We just heard that MPI sent out refund cheques to many of the 530,000 vehicle owners in Manitoba. How do California's standards apply to the millions of cattle and pig emissions? How can we afford the complexity of emissions control such as California's where they measure every device that emits from hotwater tanks and furnaces to lawnmowers, tractors, and refinery equipment? How would the province ensure that senior directors would not have conflicting investments that would disapprove testing of competitive equipment as happened with hotwater tanks in California, using Pulse combustion, rather than the director's secret investment? How would a local inventor be assured that his electric car conversion wouldn't be denied approvability and insurance if it didn't have an exhaust pipe, as has happened in California?

Instead, why wouldn't the Province invite individual owners to trade their tips and tricks to improve vehicle efficiency, via blogs, under the Canada Connects network. The assumption seems to be that we big, bad vehicle owners don't care a fig about our environment and the legacy we might leave for the future generations, yet no level of Partisan Government has ever asked Canadians to bring their ingenuity to the table. We've never been invited to share our own real-world solutions. Cleaner ethanol comes from dried grass and weeds or newsprint, yet the BIG Picture solution is to press for converting crops to Corn (which stresses the soil) or oil grains, which require pesticides (from petroleum chemistry). Rather how can the province trap all the methane from cow and pig effluents?

Posted May 17, 2007 07:35 PM

Shirley Ford

Dauphin

Regarding the #1 issue:Health Care
I have cancer and require the drug "Avastin". The government will not fund this drug so my only option is to receive it at a private clinic in Winnipeg. It will cost me $25,000-$50,000.
My questions for the three leaders are:
1. Is this not 2-tier medicine in practice?
2. Do you think this is fair treatment?
3. How would you help me? I want to live!
I still have much to contribute to community & education.
I am a college dean on sick leave.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:35 PM

Bruce

winnipeg

The Mars rover is closer to earth than Doer
is. Maybe he needs to get in touch with the people that pay taxes for services that we aren't getting. Doer has money to fix all our problems now but where has he been the last eight years?

Posted May 17, 2007 07:30 PM

K. Zimmerman

Winnipeg

What are the three of you going to do for the Aboriginal people? How are each of you going to help the Aboriginal population in Manitoba and Winnipeg grow and prosper? And will any of you re-open youth centres for our youth in the North End?

Posted May 17, 2007 07:20 PM

J. Winnipeg Hogan

Winnipeg

The problem is the debate was too short to glean anything more than sound bites.

Frankly none impressed me with a strong vision. What disappointed me most was Doer's focus on the past and his obsession on what the other parties (in particular McFadyen's PCs) would do.

It was disillusioning most of all.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:19 PM

D Doyle

Winnipeg

Hugh McFadyen talks about Tony Blair improving the heath care system in England. If you think he did Hugh, I know a bridge for sale over the Red River. My friend in England went private. She was told all was OK, called six months later and told sorry, we made a mistake, you have cancer. Three weeks later she is still waiting for results of further tests. She is about ready to go to France for treatment; it is far superior than Tony Blair's England. And by the way I always vote NDP.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:16 PM

Brent

winnipeg

Mr. Doer you and the ndp are suppose to be the party for "unionized vote". My question is why would your government put out a injunction to force union works to cross a legal picket line, when one day before they
honored the line?

Posted May 17, 2007 07:10 PM

clarence bjarnason

gillam

i like the last comment made at the debate. janet stewart stated that voter turnout has been the lowest they have seen in years. i am wondering if the three party leaders have any insight as to why that is? i am 30 years old and feel that i dont care to vote because they all promise something in the beginning then once in, dont come through on thier promise. and i dont think i am alone on this. people are tired of our "leaders" lying.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:09 PM

sarah

winnipeg

I Was Wondering On Global Warming, Are Any Of these Candidates taking The Bus While going door To Door during The Election?

Posted May 17, 2007 07:09 PM

veronica

winnipeg

I watched the debate because I've yet to decide how I'll vote on the 22nd and have to say, the Tory leader impressed me the most. He's right that everyone is leaving Manitoba for greener pastures and raising the min. wage to $10 isn't a fix for that. We've settled with Doer for too long. It's time to give someone else a chance. The Liberals don't have it together enough to be a viable option while the Tories seem practical and keen. I'll give them a chance

Posted May 17, 2007 07:09 PM

Gwen Toews

Wpg

I understand that the PC's plan on funding schools based on test scores, is this correct?

Also, I do not believe the Jets will keep young people in the Province. Our young people are leaving for better paying jobs, the opportunity for better careers and lower taxes.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:05 PM

G Hewitt

Thank goodness I can vote for the Green Party
Talk about three strikes and your out.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:04 PM

dave parn

winnipeg

I know CBC has been accused of not bringing good programming,well having these three clowns on at the same time is another case of wasted taxpayers money...It's like watching twenty minutes of dead air with no meaning to it. IsiIt just me or is Gary Doer's hair turning grey by each day? Maybe the stress is finally getting to him. I know after ten years of blaming the Tories for everything he realizes maybe it was himself all along.

Posted May 17, 2007 07:04 PM

Tony

Winnipeg

I would like to know what's with the PC party. Was the current leader the best that was out there? He is out of his league and doesn't deserve to be leader. He is not ready to be confrontational. Bring back the Jets, bike taxes??? Where is the outcry of Crocus, the elimination of hallway medicine? Have you been in a hospital lately? I truly do not want another 4 years of the current government. Premier Doer, you will not win this election because you are the best choice. It's because the competition is very week.

Posted May 17, 2007 06:59 PM

Rex

Winnipeg

Dr. Gerrard made a reference into building a knowledge based economy in Manitoba. I would like to hear him elaborate on that more by describing how he will do that?

He briefly touched on that during the debate but it sounds like there is more he wants to say and I would like to hear it.

Posted May 17, 2007 06:57 PM

Riding Profiles

More Manitoba Votes Headlines »

Sorry - we can't find that page

CBC.ca

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

1. Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
  2. Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
  3. Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
  4. Visit our site map page

In a few moments, you will be taken to our site map page, which will help you find what you looking for.

more »
Story Tools: PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK

World »

Analysis U.S. is off to a war that doesn't make sense — again: Neil Macdonald
When U.S. President Barack Obama tried to build consensus last year for an air campaign against Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, the American public balked. But taking on ISIS is a whole other story, writes Neil Macdonald.
Analysis Scotland independence vote could be as close as Quebec referendum: Éric Grenier video
On Thursday, Scots will decide whether to leave the United Kingdom and dissolve their union of more than three centuries. The latest polls suggest the outcome could be as close as the one that almost split Canada 19 years ago, writes analyst Éric Grenier.
Apple's iOS 8: New mobile operating system now available video
Apple's new mobile operating system iOS 8 is now available for iPhone and iPad users to download.
more »

Canada »

Updated Nathan O’Brien murder case: Douglas Garland appears in court
Douglas Garland, the man accused of killing five-year-old Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes, kept silent and hung his head as he appeared in a Calgary courtroom today.
Harper sidestepped MPs on Supreme Court pick due to Nadon 'leaks'
Concerns over alleged leaks from the all-party panel of MPs that vetted the aborted Supreme Court appointment of Marc Nadon led the government to leave MPs out of the loop when it named Justice Clement Gascon to replace him, documents tabled in the House reveal.
Ebola outbreak continues to strand adopted twins in Sierra Leone
An Alberta family say their pleas for Canadian officials to cut red tape and grant citizenship to their stranded adopted twins in Sierra Leone have been met with even more red tape.
more »

Politics »

Updated Petro Poroshenko: 'I am thankful to Canada' video
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says he's thankful to Canada for its support as Ukraine edges closer to the West. Poroshenko is on an official visit to Canada and spoke to Parliament.
COMING UP LIVE Bedford lawyer Alan Young to brief senators on prostitution bill rewrite video
One of the main lawyers behind retired dominatrix Terri-Jean Bedford's decade-long battle to overturn Canada's prostitution laws is set to tell a Senate committee what he thinks of the government's proposed rewrite. Watch and follow the hearing live starting at 4:15 p.m. ET.
more »

Health »

Sorry - we can't find that page

CBC.ca

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

1. Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
  2. Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
  3. Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
  4. Visit our site map page

more »

Arts & Entertainment»

New Rob Ford the Musical 'must go on' despite health update video
Rob Ford the Musical, a comedy about Toronto's ailing mayor, will open Thursday as planned with 'some alterations' says producer
Just For Laughs to open comic vaults for new YouTube channel video
Just for Laughs is launching a new YouTube channel Wednesday, promising to post unseen video of comics like Louis CK, Chris Rock and Jon Stewart from before they were famous, according to Variety magazine.
Hilary Weston Prize 2014 shortlist revealed
Social activist Naomi Klein and acclaimed author Kathleen Winter among five finalists named Wednesday in the running for Canada's most lucrative award for non-fiction.
more »

Technology & Science »

Fireball over Rockies was Russian spy satellite, experts say
A fireball that blazed across the night sky over the Rockies earlier this month likely was part of a Russian spy satellite that fell from orbit, say meteor and aerospace experts.
BlackBerry releases luxury $2,340 Porsche keyboard phone
BlackBerry and the Porsche Design Group announced a luxury-edition smartphone with a QWERTY keyboard - the P’9983 - at an event in Dubai today.
King Richard III killed by two blows to bare head, forensics show
Scientists in Britain have given blow-by-blow details of King Richard III's death at the Battle of Bosworth more than 500 years ago.
more »

Money »

Sears shares plunge after it borrows $400M from its own CEO
Sears shares plunged 9.4 per cent Tuesday and another 2.6 per cent Wednesday after it revealed it had borrowed $400 million form a hedge fund owned by CEO Eddie Lampert.
Live Federal Reserve low rate pledge remains in place video
The U.S. Federal Reserve on Wednesday renewed a pledge to keep interest rates near zero for a 'considerable time' and repeated concerns over slack in the labour market, standing firm against calls to overhaul its policy statement.
Scotland referendum: 'Yes' side banks on quick EU deal
Scotland’s Yes side is counting on a quick re-entry to the European Union if voters opt for independence in the referendum Thursday.
more »

Consumer Life »

Sorry - we can't find that page

CBC.ca

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

1. Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
  2. Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
  3. Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
  4. Visit our site map page

more »

Sports »

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Profile Dufour-Lapointe sisters: 5 things you didn't know
Canada's freestyle skiing sisters, Justine, Chloe and Maxime Dufour-Lapointe visited the CBC building in Toronto on Wednesday as part of a media tour. They also sat with CBCSports.ca to talk about life away from the sport.
Analysis Edmonton Oilers: 2014-15 NHL season preview
A young, talented roster will need to find a two-way game to get the Edmonton Oilers back to the playoffs for the first time since the team's run to the Stanley Cup final in 2006.
Preview Blue Jays look to strike back in Baltimore
The Toronto Blue Jays will try win for just the second time in their last six games when they take on the newly crowned AL East champion Baltimore Orioles on Wednesday.
more »