HomeRadioTelevisionLocal ContactSearchHelp
New Brunswick Votes 2003



winnipeg.cbc.ca

En fran´┐Żais:

Radio Canada


  Main > Riding Profiles >
Riding Profiles
 RIDING: POINT DOUGLAS
Candidate Party Vote Count Pop. Vote X
George Hickes New Democrats 2835 74.96% X
Mary Lou Bourgeois Liberal 539 14.25%
Wyatt McIntyre Prog. Conservative 330 8.73%
Darrell Rankin Communist Party 78 2.06%
 Last Update Mon Jun 16 11:41:47 EDT 2003 40 of 40 polls reporting

POINT DOUGLAS

Current MLA: George Hickes (NDP)

Candidates:

Liberal: Mary Lou Bourgeois
NDP: George Hickes
PC: Wyatt McIntyre
Communist: Darryl Rankin

Riding Profile:

A riding of Point Douglas previously existed from 1969 until the redistribution in 1978. The riding was re-established in the 1989 redistribution. This central Winnipeg riding runs from the Red River in the east to Balmoral/Gertie/Isabel/CPR Yards/ McKenzie in the west; from Mountain Avenue in the north to Portage Avenue/Water Avenue in the south.

The population in 1996 was 19,941. It is an ethnically diverse riding. Ethnicities included Filipino (10%) as well as Ukrainian (6%), in 1999. The total immigrant population in this riding was 27 per cent. The Aboriginal population was 33 per cent. Also, over 18 per cent of the population were over the age of 65 in 1999.

The riding is composed mainly of individual residences and lower-income families. This riding had the highest incidence of low income in Manitoba at 67.6 per cent in 1999. The average family income was $24,715, which is the lowest in the province. The unemployment rate in 1999 was high (25%).

Three-quarters of the occupied dwellings in this riding were rented in 1999, and 37 per cent of families were lone-parent.

In 1999, the major industries in this riding were manufacturing (25%) followed by other services (22%).

Political History:

Note: this riding was re-created in the1989 redistribution from parts of Burrows, Logan and St John's.

Previous Point Douglas:

  • 1969, 1973, 1977: ND Don Malinowski won. He also ran in St John's in 1981.

  • 1990: ND George Hickes defeated LIB Errol Lewis by 1,228 votes.

  • 1995: ND Hickes defeated LIB Linda Cantiveros by 1,963 votes.

  • 1999: ND George Hickes defeated LIB Ajay Chopra by 2,002 votes.

    1999 turnout: 59.07%


  •  

     




















    Terms of Use | Privacy | Copyright | Other Policies
    Copyright © CBC 2003