August 2011 Archives
Wednesday August 31, 2011
Tuesday August 30, 2011
Tuesday August 30, 2011
Monday August 29, 2011
Take a musical trip down memory lane......when conservative senator Mike Duffy takes the Spin time D-J chair with Angela Walker .
(unfortunatly we can't include the music due to copywrite issues)
Friday August 26, 2011
16 residents there have been planting, weeding and nuturing a garden....with the help of 15 young people from the YMCA Youth at Risk program.
It has resulted in a beautiful garden......and some beautiful friendships.
The project was organized by the Bedeque Bay Environmental Management Association or BBEMA.
Tracy Brown is the executive director. She spoke with Angela Walker.
Thursday August 25, 2011
Boyde Beck will take us on another trip in the Mainstreet time machine....this time going back to this day in 1819....and a squabble over back rent that ended very, very badly.
Wednesday August 24, 2011
It's called "how to avoid dating a jerk."
It was put on by the folks at Open Door Ministries...who do a lot of work with women in and out of the corrections system.
Cheryl Millman is the executive director of Open Door ministries and Ann Visser is the women's mentor.
Tuesday August 23, 2011
And while everyone knew Jack Layton wasn't well....the news of the opposition leaders death still came as a shock to many.
Those who didn't even know him....feel the loss.
For those that DID know him....his passing is deeply upsetting.
Pamela Large Moran is a Charlottetown lawyer who considered Jack Layton a friend.
She was on business in Saskatoon...and that's where we reached her
Monday August 22, 2011
Every Friday we have a guest come into our Studio to spin some favorite tunes. Peter Bevan Baker was here to be our DJ. (Unfortunately we can't include the music from the interview because of copywrite issues.)
Friday August 19, 2011
Friday August 19, 2011
codfish caught near Rustico
Dutch Thompson has a new twist on the by-gone days. He puts our Mainstreet team to the test....with the "island accent quiz"
Thursday August 18, 2011
Their experiences and sense of adventure are often awe-inspiring.
Every once in awhile...we check in with some of those people.
on "Mainstreet on the Map"...we caught up with Tim Cullen from Charlottetown who is now in Turkey...and has been on a law internship in the middle east.
Wednesday August 17, 2011
Every Sunday at the North River Flea market you'll see a little girl named Sierra sit in her wheelchair behind a table full of hand-made bracelets and necklaces. That jewelry has been a real labour of love for her family. Sierra was born with a rare birth defect. She requires treatments at the children's hospital in St.John's, Newfoundland. And while the treatments are covered by the government, the cost of getting to Newfoundland and accomodations is not. Her brother Morgan has autism. So her mom Lisa O'Raniuk and the rest of the family made jewelry and sell it at the flea market. They've been doing that faithfully for the last two years. Sierra has problems speaking.....but she has a smile that lights up a room.....and warms the hearts of many customers at the flea market. Angela Walker dropped by the flea market on Sunday and had a chat with Lisa....with her daughter Sierra looking on.
Tuesday August 16, 2011
If you were driving by the football fields at the Terry Fox Complex in Cornwall earlier this week you might have done a double take. There were four professional football players in the field from the Hamilton Tiger Cats...putting some young players from PEI through the moves.
This special training clinic was an opportunity to generate more excitement for football on PEI and for Touchdown Atlantic taking place in Moncton next month.. That regular season game will feature the Tiger Cats against The Calgary Stampeders.
Angela Walker dropped by the Terry Fox complex to speak with the players and the organizers
Monday August 15, 2011
Well the horses are going through their paces at Old Home Week. harness racing is a big part of the annual celebration. And this year a team of filmakers will be documenting that side. it's one of five multi-media projects commissioned by the city of charlottetown under the 2011 cultural capital program. Jason Arsenault is producing and directing 'exhibition drive' and Jeremy Larter is a camera operator. Karen Mair spoke with them near the stables alongside the track.
Friday August 12, 2011
celebrations will be marked in the South Rustico area of Rustico. if you aren't sure which part that is - just look for the
tall white steeple of St. Augustine's church which can be seen for miles around.
It's the oldest Catholic church on PEI. From its 175-year-old bells, to its porcelain statues,
it's a historic site worth visiting. And if you're lucky and stop for a tour - your guide just may be 91 year old Edouard Blanchard. Last summer he guided 45 bus tours through the building and he's back at it again this summer. In fact earlier this year Edouard was recognized for his contributions with a Provincial Heritage award for "volunteer of the year".
Lindsay Carroll tagged along with Edouard Blanchard to see the church.
Friday August 12, 2011
Thursday August 11, 2011
Thursday August 11, 2011
She's an expert cheesecake maker - and believes in the power of kindness and lonliness- Karen Mair has a q line chat with singer-songwriter Carmel Mikol on the eve of the launch of her new CD and book.
Tuesday August 9, 2011
We're travelling to cameroon where Gabrielle Daoust is volunteering with Cuso-VSO - she tells Karen Mair about the challenges of working in a predominantly muslim country and not having a washing machine!
- October 2011
- September 2011
- Thu., 29 – Dutch Thompson - Fall Flavours
- Thu., 29 – Next On Mainstreet
- Thu., 29 – Mainstreet on the Map
- Wed., 28 – Wayne Johnston
- Tue., 27 – Dr Michael Bliss
- Mon., 26 – Spin Time - Matt Moore
- Fri., 23 – Curtis Stone
- Fri., 23 – Alzheimer Society
- Thu., 22 – Boyde Beck
- Wed., 21 – Contact East
- Tue., 20 – Charlottetown Harbour Series
- Mon., 19 – Spin Time Liam Dolan
- Fri., 16 – Dutch Thompson - Where's the Beef?
- Thu., 15 – Mainstreet on the Map - Laurie Murphy
- Wed., 14 – Great Canadian Adventure
- Tue., 13 – Q line - Louis Penny
- Tue., 13 – Spin Time - Katie Swift
- Mon., 12 – Ron MacLean
- Fri., 9 – Stacey MacKinnon
- Thu., 8 – Boyde Beck - the Gordon Boys
- Wed., 7 – Fixed Election Dates
- Tue., 6 – Spin Time - Lena Turofsky
- Fri., 2 – Dutch Thompson
- Thu., 1 – Mainstreet on the Map - Nick Burka
- August 2011
- Wed., 31 – Dennis Ellsworth
- Tue., 30 – Charlottetown Yacht Club
- Tue., 30 – Mikinduri and Stanley
- Mon., 29 – Spin Time - Sen. Mike Duffy
- Fri., 26 – Growing Forward-Building Natures Bridges
- Thu., 25 – Boyde Beck - Tragic Land Dispute
- Wed., 24 – How to avoid dating a jerk
- Tue., 23 – Pamela Large Moran on Jack Layton
- Mon., 22 – Spin Time - Peter Bevan Baker
- Fri., 19 – Stacey MacKinnon - Love & Money
- Fri., 19 – Dutch thompson accent quiz
- Thu., 18 – Mainstreet on the Map - Tim Cullen
- Wed., 17 – Bracelets of Hope
- Tue., 16 – Hamilton Tigercats
- Mon., 15 – Exibition Drive
- Fri., 12 – Edouard Blanchard - St. Augustine's church
- Fri., 12 – Shepherd's Farm - Gordon Bailey
- Thu., 11 – Boyde Beck - The Worrell Job
- Thu., 11 – Q line Carmen Mikol
- Tue., 9 – Mainstreet on the Map
- July 2011
- Fri., 22 – Dutch Thompson - Georgetown
- Thu., 21 – Mainstreet on the Map - Mike MacDonald
- Wed., 20 – Great Kapok Tree
- Tue., 19 – Farmers helping farmers
- Mon., 18 – Spin Time - Tim Banks
- Fri., 15 – The Healing Power of Horses
- Wed., 13 – Arts and Heritage trail
- Tue., 12 – Young Millionaires
- Mon., 11 – Spin Time Dr. Heather Morrison
- Fri., 8 – Dutch Thompson - Tractors
- Tue., 5 – Stacey Mackinnon - Young love
- June 2011
- Fri., 24 – Mainstreet on the Map
- Fri., 24 – Dutch Thompson - Queenie MacKinnon
- Wed., 22 – Chef Michael Smith
- Tue., 21 – Shepherd's Farm
- Mon., 20 – Spin Time - Anne Allan
- Fri., 17 – Rachna Gilmore
- Mon., 13 – Small Halls Contest
- Mon., 13 – Spin Time - Olive Crane
- Fri., 10 – Dutch Thompson
- Thu., 9 – Lowell Brehaut
- Thu., 2 – Boyde Beck
- Wed., 1 – N3xt Tv
- May 2011
- Tue., 31 – Dr Stacey MacKinnon
- Mon., 30 – Island Film Factory
- Fri., 27 – Dutch Thompson - Big Families
- Thu., 26 – Mainstreet on the Map
- Wed., 25 – Schizophrenia Awareness Day
- Tue., 24 – Science Fair
- Fri., 20 – IBC
- Thu., 19 – Boyde Beck
- Wed., 18 – Ken Caissie - Slave Lake
- Mon., 16 – Spin Time - Mille Clarkes
- Fri., 13 – Dutch Thompson - Lobster & Drunk chickens
- Thu., 12 – Mainstreet on The Map - Stephanie Van Kampen
- Wed., 11 – Take as Directed
- Tue., 10 – Acorn Press
- Mon., 9 – Spin Time - Doug Deacon
- Thu., 5 – Boyde Beck
- Tue., 3 – Tanya Davis
- Mon., 2 – Spin Time - Meaghan Blanchard
- April 2011
- Fri., 29 – Dutch Thompson - Hindenburg
- Thu., 28 – Mainstreet on the Map - Steve LeClair
- Wed., 27 – People living with parkinson's
- Tue., 26 – Town in Training
- Mon., 25 – Island poems
- Thu., 21 – Wayde Lewis
- Tue., 19 – Montgomery Theatre
- Fri., 15 – Dutch Thompson
- Thu., 14 – Mainstreet on the Map, Isabel MacDougall
- Wed., 13 – Mi'Kmaq Legends
- Tue., 12 – David Myles
- Fri., 8 – Young Politics
- Thu., 7 – In Flight Safety
- Wed., 6 – Q Line
- Tue., 5 – Refugee Panel
- Fri., 1 – Dutch Thompson - Entertainment
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Mainstreet on the Map
- Wed., 30 – Right Brain Released
- Tue., 29 – Sisters in Japan
- Tue., 29 – Spin Time
- Fri., 25 – Annabel Lyon
- Fri., 25 – Boyde Beck
- Tue., 22 – Stacey MacKinnon
- Tue., 22 – Islander in Japan
- Mon., 21 – East Coast Line/Lyric Contest
- Fri., 18 – Coming up on Mainstreet
- Fri., 18 – Mainstreet on the Map
- Thu., 17 – Bygone Days with Dutch Thompson
- Thu., 17 – David MacKenzie
- Tue., 15 – Exotic veggies from Chinese grocery
- Tue., 15 – Jamie Gamble
- Fri., 11 – Links Mentioned on Mainstreet
- Fri., 11 – ECMA
- Thu., 10 – Mike Super
- Thu., 10 – Bethanie Fitzgerald
- Wed., 9 – Mathew Henderson
- February 2011
- January 2011
- Thu., 27 – SpinTime - Fridays 5:30-6
|Radio One||Weekdays 4 p.m. AT|