July 2011 Archives
Friday July 22, 2011
Frances Lavers Llewellyn
Thursday July 21, 2011
We travel to LA for Mainstreet on the Map and speak with Mike MacDonald who is originally from Souris. He tells us about his work, his passion for kite-boarding his 30th High School reunion this weekend and efforts to remember his brother Reggie
Wednesday July 20, 2011
Great Kapok Tree is a new show openning this week at the Guild. It's being presented by Luminosity black light theatre - which is a new company led by Dance artist and choreographer Julia Sauve. Julia and Riley along with cast members Anthony Yu and Madeline Crawford stopped by the mainstreet studio to speak with Karen Mair.
Tuesday July 19, 2011
A member of the Muchui Women's Group in her garden in 2008. This year, drought has struck the region.
Teresa Mellish is the co-ordinator of Farmers Helping farmers which is based in PEI. She told Karen Mair what Farmers helpng Farmers is doing for farmers in Kenya facing this year's drought.
Monday July 18, 2011
From the Beatles to Muse....Charlottetown businessman and developer Tim Banks shares some of his favourite music with us on "Spin Time." (unfortunatly we can't include the music due to copywrite issues)
Friday July 15, 2011
It's amazing sometimes how a connection with an animal can change our perspective on things. For some... that connection can be even more real than relationships with other people. The Hughes Jones Centre for People and Animals in Cornwall opened in 2008. It's goal is to use horses to help young people....especially those at risk.....learn respect and caring for themsleves and others. The young people who come there....not only learn to ride the horses....but are involved in the hands on care. It's a recipe for success.....and the centre is growing. Angela Walker dropped by the arena at the Hughes Jones Centre.
Wednesday July 13, 2011
Prince Edward Island is full of old buildings with amazing history....and dozens of communities play host to festivals that have been around almost as long as those old communities.
On top of all that.....dozens of artisans are creating and selling wonderful works from their studios and shops across the island.
For the first time...The Tourism Industry association has come up with an Arts and Heritage Trail to lead islanders and tourists alike to those locations.
And they've included a high tech way of transmitting some of that information.
Judy MacDonald of the Barachois Inn in Rustico is the chair of the arts and heritage trail committee for the tourism industry association.
She dropped by the studio with the details
Tuesday July 12, 2011
A grant of up to 100 dollars.....for young people between the ages of 8 and 16 to start a small business....learn new skills and develop a love of entrepreneurship that could last a lifetime. That's the premise behind the Young Millionaires Program....now in its 19th year on Prince Edward Island.
Some of the young business people involved in the program on PEI were at the Confederation Court Mall selling their products....or letting the public know about their businesses.
Angela Walker dropped by to speak with a few of them.
Monday July 11, 2011
From disco to Elvis Presley....and everything in between. PEI's chief health officer Dr.Heather Morisson loves a variety of music. She shares some of it with us on todays edition of "Spin Time."
(unfortunatly we can't include the music due to copywrite issues)
Friday July 8, 2011
This is the time of year it seems where tractors are everywhere you look.....Farmers making hay or scufflin' the potatoes.
And there's one more tractor on the road... recently Dr.John Varty, a professor from Yale University set off from Charlottetown across Canada...on a tractor. He'll meet with farmers along the way and he hopes to learn more about the changing farming landscape.
So it's only fitting ....that Dutch Thompson drops by with stories about tractors..from the by-gone days.
Thursday July 7, 2011
We're heading off Island for another edition of Mainstreet on the Map.
Every couple of weeks we check in with an Islander living or exploring elsewhere.
Lindsey Reddin is a massage therapist here on pei. Andy Reddin just graduated with his masters in Physics.
This brother and sister team thought is was a perfect time to reconnect with each other..... on a 5 month trek through New Zealand . They spoke with Karen Mair
Tuesday July 5, 2011
Mainstreet's relationship expert Stacey MacKinnon talks teen romance.....and how parents can help their sons and daughters deal with the emotional highs and lows that come with that first love.
- August 2011
- Wed., 31 – Dennis Ellsworth
- Tue., 30 – Charlottetown Yacht Club
- Tue., 30 – Mikinduri and Stanley
- Tue., 30 – Next On Mainstreet
- Mon., 29 – Spin Time - Sen. Mike Duffy
- Fri., 26 – Growing Forward-Building Natures Bridges
- Thu., 25 – Boyde Beck - Tragic Land Dispute
- Wed., 24 – How to avoid dating a jerk
- Tue., 23 – Pamela Large Moran on Jack Layton
- Mon., 22 – Spin Time - Peter Bevan Baker
- Fri., 19 – Stacey MacKinnon - Love & Money
- Fri., 19 – Dutch thompson accent quiz
- Thu., 18 – Mainstreet on the Map - Tim Cullen
- Wed., 17 – Bracelets of Hope
- Tue., 16 – Hamilton Tigercats
- Mon., 15 – Exibition Drive
- Fri., 12 – Edouard Blanchard - St. Augustine's church
- Fri., 12 – Shepherd's Farm - Gordon Bailey
- Thu., 11 – Boyde Beck - The Worrell Job
- Thu., 11 – Q line Carmen Mikol
- Tue., 9 – Mainstreet on the Map
- July 2011
- Fri., 22 – Dutch Thompson - Georgetown
- Thu., 21 – Mainstreet on the Map - Mike MacDonald
- Wed., 20 – Great Kapok Tree
- Tue., 19 – Farmers helping farmers
- Mon., 18 – Spin Time - Tim Banks
- Fri., 15 – The Healing Power of Horses
- Wed., 13 – Arts and Heritage trail
- Tue., 12 – Young Millionaires
- Mon., 11 – Spin Time Dr. Heather Morrison
- Fri., 8 – Dutch Thompson - Tractors
- Tue., 5 – Stacey Mackinnon - Young love
- June 2011
- Fri., 24 – Mainstreet on the Map
- Fri., 24 – Dutch Thompson - Queenie MacKinnon
- Wed., 22 – Chef Michael Smith
- Tue., 21 – Shepherd's Farm
- Mon., 20 – Spin Time - Anne Allan
- Fri., 17 – Rachna Gilmore
- Mon., 13 – Small Halls Contest
- Mon., 13 – Spin Time - Olive Crane
- Fri., 10 – Dutch Thompson
- Thu., 9 – Lowell Brehaut
- Thu., 2 – Boyde Beck
- Wed., 1 – N3xt Tv
- May 2011
- Tue., 31 – Dr Stacey MacKinnon
- Mon., 30 – Island Film Factory
- Fri., 27 – Dutch Thompson - Big Families
- Thu., 26 – Mainstreet on the Map
- Wed., 25 – Schizophrenia Awareness Day
- Tue., 24 – Science Fair
- Fri., 20 – IBC
- Thu., 19 – Boyde Beck
- Wed., 18 – Ken Caissie - Slave Lake
- Mon., 16 – Spin Time - Mille Clarkes
- Fri., 13 – Dutch Thompson - Lobster & Drunk chickens
- Thu., 12 – Mainstreet on The Map - Stephanie Van Kampen
- Wed., 11 – Take as Directed
- Tue., 10 – Acorn Press
- Mon., 9 – Spin Time - Doug Deacon
- Thu., 5 – Boyde Beck
- Tue., 3 – Tanya Davis
- Mon., 2 – Spin Time - Meaghan Blanchard
- April 2011
- Fri., 29 – Dutch Thompson - Hindenburg
- Thu., 28 – Mainstreet on the Map - Steve LeClair
- Wed., 27 – People living with parkinson's
- Tue., 26 – Town in Training
- Mon., 25 – Island poems
- Thu., 21 – Wayde Lewis
- Tue., 19 – Montgomery Theatre
- Fri., 15 – Dutch Thompson
- Thu., 14 – Mainstreet on the Map, Isabel MacDougall
- Wed., 13 – Mi'Kmaq Legends
- Tue., 12 – David Myles
- Fri., 8 – Young Politics
- Thu., 7 – In Flight Safety
- Wed., 6 – Q Line
- Tue., 5 – Refugee Panel
- Fri., 1 – Dutch Thompson - Entertainment
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Mainstreet on the Map
- Wed., 30 – Right Brain Released
- Tue., 29 – Sisters in Japan
- Tue., 29 – Spin Time
- Fri., 25 – Annabel Lyon
- Fri., 25 – Boyde Beck
- Tue., 22 – Stacey MacKinnon
- Tue., 22 – Islander in Japan
- Mon., 21 – East Coast Line/Lyric Contest
- Fri., 18 – Coming up on Mainstreet
- Fri., 18 – Mainstreet on the Map
- Thu., 17 – Bygone Days with Dutch Thompson
- Thu., 17 – David MacKenzie
- Tue., 15 – Exotic veggies from Chinese grocery
- Tue., 15 – Jamie Gamble
- Fri., 11 – Links Mentioned on Mainstreet
- Fri., 11 – ECMA
- Thu., 10 – Mike Super
- Thu., 10 – Bethanie Fitzgerald
- Wed., 9 – Mathew Henderson
- February 2011
- January 2011
- Thu., 27 – SpinTime - Fridays 5:30-6
|Radio One||Weekdays 4 p.m. AT|