The Philippine community is coming together in Winnipeg Saturday to raise money for survivors of a typhoon that hit the country earlier this week.
The death toll from the storm, that hit the country Tuesday, has reached 600 and hundreds more are missing.
The Philippine Canadian Centre has opened its doors this weekend and will be accepting cash donations or canned goods.
So far the centre has raised a few hundred dollars since starting the fundraising campaign Thursday, said Fred Devilla, the centre's disaster relief committee co-chair.
Nympha Gabriel, 45, came to Canada from the Philippines last month. She is from the Mindanao region, the area that has been hit the hardest. Her father lives there, but she said he is safe.
Devilla said they hope to raise $10,000 by Dec. 22, with all money going to the Canadian Red Cross.
The Philippine Canadian Centre will be open until 6 p.m. CST Saturday.