Did you know?
Mexico is the second most popular destination for Canadian travellers, just behind the United States.
Got the winter blues but can't get away? Instead of heading to a sunny destination, bring the tropics to your home with a south-of-the-border dinner theme.
Ready to feel the heat? Try a Mexican fiesta dinner. Here are some ideas to help get you started.
Setting the mood
- Whether it's authentic Mexican or Tex Mex, set the mood with bold, brilliant colours.
- Ever been to Mexico? Use pillows, travel posters, postcards and mix them into the decor.
- Use a vibrant Mexican blanket as a table runner. Don't have a blanket? Try a white tablecloth and cross with multicoloured fabric.
- As a centrepiece, line a few small cacti on the middle of the table or scatter red and green chilies.
- Involve the kids in making tissue paper flowers to decorate the room.
- Play traditional mariachi music during dinner to add to the tropical ambience.
- Make your own tacos with your family's favourite toppings: cheese, salsa, guacamole, tomatoes, chili, chicken, refried beans, chives.
- For dessert, try a tropical salad with mangoes and pineapple -- or any of your favourites -- topped with paper umbrellas.
- Kids and adults can cap the night by taking a whack at a pinata stuffed with goodies.
Here are a few additional recipe ideas:
Have you headed south for dinner? Send us your ideas or photos.