How To Set Goals
Okay, you're ready to get active and start making changes to your health.
But how do you stay on track?
Experts suggest that setting a goal and working towards it will help you focus your efforts and stick to your guns.
Trainer Mike Veinot suggests the following tips for physical activity goals:
- Have one big goal in mind when starting out.
- Set small weekly and monthly goals that will help lead you to your overall goal.
- Remember that goals need to be managable and attainable.
- Don't try to over-acheive beacuse you will become discouraged and might quit.
- If you have a set back you may need to re-evaluate and start again. If that's the case dont worry just get back on the horse.
- Log your goals and check off what you've achieved each week, month etc
- Treat yourself when you reach the goals that you've set
When it comes to food and diet, try these steps to set and achieve your goals:
- Keep a food log. It will help you keep track where your calories come from. There's a handy online log at the Dietitians of Canada web site.
- Don't deny yourself ALL of life's guilty pleasures. If you cut back on portion size and/or frequency of your favorite treats you will reduce your cravings over time. Here are some helpful tips from Canadian Living on beating those cravings.
- Stay positive. Optimism can start with something as simple as acknowledging where you are, where you want to be, and committing to get there.
What are your goals and how do you keep on track? Share your tips in the comments below!