Deninu K-12 School
This submission was made by the Principal at Deninu School
Name: Deninu K-12 School (Fort Resolution, NWT)
Deninu School in Fort Resolution, NWT is an active, healthy community. Our school offers a wide variety of community focused and health promoting opportunities such as our successful Breakfast for Learning school nutrition program, kitchen courses, lunch and after school activities, and cultural events such as bush safety and sustainable hunting.
We call ourselves: Breakfast for Learners!
#1 Health Goal: We want to develop a culturally sensitive, active, and healthy environment in our school to support our students.
Biggest Challenge: Though fortunate to have funding from Breakfast for Learning, the cost of fresh produce and the isolation of our community makes it very difficult to adequately supply our popular breakfast program with the food and supplies required to keep up with needs of our kids.
Biggest Accomplishment: We are most proud of the support that our staff and community members provide to our healthy, active school. Each morning staff and community members volunteer their time to provide a healthy, hot breakfast for students and prepare healthy snacks for a variety of school events, like school dances, council meetings, and assemblies.
We are also proud of our creativity when making meals for our Breakfast for Learners program. With our limited availability of produce we have been very successful in creating a wide variety of healthy eating options. We let our students know that it is not only smart to eat a healthy breakfast, but also fun!
We will continue to Live Right Now by:
1. Promoting healthy eating habits in order to enhance our learning opportunities and improve our lifestyles.
2. Building relationships and stronger commitments towards healthy living goals by promoting school and community interactions through sport and cultural events.
3. Promoting a healthier culture by building leadership opportunities through goal setting and team building.
School Tip for Canadians:
1. Providing opportunities for healthy living is the first step in promoting healthy lifestyles.
2. Instilling healthy habits in young children will help them grow into healthy adults.
3. Healthy living will influence and motivate others.