The YMCA of Calgary and CBC Radio in Calgary created a unique program as part of CBC Live Right Now. YMCA Calgary offered six-month memberships at each of our health and wellness branches to people who would like to bring healthy living into their lives. CBC Radio announced this repeatedly on the air and we had approximately 40 people take part.
In exchange for the YMCA membership, participants had to meet weekly with a YMCA fitness instructor. Each group also had a CBC Radio personality take part, who reported on-air the progress of the group. Each week, a different element of healthy living was introduced to participants, from a type of workout to meeting with an expert on a particular subject. Below is the success story of one participant named Dan Moulton, who really embraced the program and saw good results.
Name: Dan Moulton, former Calgary YMCA Live Right Now program participant
I'm part of: Eau Claire YMCA (Calgary), Early Morning Eye Opener (CBC Calgary)
#1 Health Goal: Change my lifestyle from that of being an overweight couch potato to one of being a healthy active person.
Biggest Challenge: Change
- Have lost 55+ pounds
- Have eliminated the need for eight prescriptions (now take only four - maybe two after the next visit with my doctor)
Have maintained much more activity:
- Exercise regularly (3-6 times/week)
- I am getting certified as an Aqua-Fit instructor and am teaching two classes every other week
- Climb 14 floors from the parkade to my condo at least once a day and sometimes three times per day
- Have gone from extra-large shirt size to small or medium
- Have reduced pant size from 38" waist to 30 - 31" waist
- I look and feel fantastic (if I do say so myself...)
I will continue to Live Right Now by:
- Going to my fitness/health facility at least four times per week
- Eating healthy and balanced meals
- Sharing my success with others through volunteer work at the YMCA
Personal Tips for Canadians:
- Remember, it's not selfish to focus on personal well-being.
- Get support from someone you trust.
- Get rid of everything that supports your old lifestyle -- "big" clothes, unhealthy habits and routines, and if necessary, people who sabotage your success.