This DIY art made from paint chips is so simple, you can definitely tackle it this weekend
Perfect for those rainy days at the cottage, or a sunny afternoon spent lounging on the grass
The sunny season is finally upon us, and whether that means weekends spent at the cottage or weekends spent in the park desperately willing a lake to appear in the distance, you're no doubt searching for a few fun activities to pass the time that won't mess with your relaxed summer vibe. Enter, this simple, rain-or-shine folk art DIY. It's made with paint chips that you can grab from the hardware store, uses printable stencils and comes together in only five steps, so even the kiddos can get in on the fun. Just make sure to do all your printing before heading out with your supplies. Check out the video below to see how its done, and you'll have three cheerful new art pieces to light up your walls in no time.
Here's what you'll need:
- Folk art stencils (download here)
- White cardstock
- Paint chips, in colour scheme of your choice (you'll need about 7-10 of each colour)
- Hole punch
- 3 8x10 white frames
Here's how to do it:
- Print off each folk art stencil twice, with one set on regular paper and one set on white cardstock. Note: There are 3 different stencils so you should have 6 outlines in total. One for cutting out the shapes, and the other for gluing the shapes onto.
- Using scissors and your hole punch (for the circles), cut out each shape on the paper stencil outline as a marker for you to cut from your paint chips. Note: If there are duplicates of each shape only cut out one of them, it saves a lot of time!
- Once you have your outline shapes cut, begin cutting each shape from your paint chips according to the colour scheme of the folk art and gluing it onto your cardstock outline.
- To make it easier and more organized, glue each piece right after you cut. This will help to make sure that no pieces go missing.
- After all your shapes are cut and glued according to the stencils, place your finished pieces into the white frames and hang them in your desired location.