DIY hammered loop earrings
After blowing up on the runways this spring, hoop earrings are making a serious comeback. So instead of splurging on a store-bought pair, why not make your own hammered loop earrings at home? These delicate, teardrop-shaped hoops are made with jewellery wire and use a hammer to get that unique textured look. Plus, they take only 10 steps to make, so even if it's your first foray into jewellery-making, you don't have to sweat it. Follow our step-by-step instructions and you'll have some brand new bling to show off in no time!
Here's what you'll need:
- 20 gauge jewellery wire
- 14 gauge jewellery wire
- Anvil or steel block
- Chain nose pliers
- Nylon jaw pliers
- Wire cutters
- Round object to shape hoop or earring
- Earring hooks
Here's how to do it:
- Shape thicker wire around object and create two teardrop shaped hoops.
- Trip both to the same size using wire cutters.
- Straighten or shape wire with nylon jaw pliers where needed.
- Place first loop onto steel block or anvil.
- Hammer to create texture on both sides until flat.
- Repeat on other loop.
- Cut thinner wire into two pieces and wrap around one side of the loop.
- Tread earring hook onto wire.
- Wrap other end around loop.
- Trim any excess wire.