Make sequin heart patches big or small with ALB in Wonderland
For your jean jacket any day or for wearing your heart on your sleeve this Valentine's Day
'Tis the season to sprawl out on the couch and binge-watch a bunch of your favourite rom coms. And if you need something to do with your hands while bawling your eyes out to a sappy classic, why not whip up a few of these DIY heart patches from crafting queen, ALB in Wonderland. Decked in sequins and incredibly easy to make, these hearts act as flirty additions to a jean jacket, the sleeve of your coziest sweater or the front pocket of your backpack. They make sweet little gifts to go with the Valentines you're handing out this year, too! ALB says that you should wear hearts on your outfit every day in February and, honestly, seeing how cute they are, we can't think of a good reason not to.
Here's what you'll need:
- A few sheets of red felt
- Heart template drawn in size of your choice
- Lots of red sequins (we used loose ones and ones on a roll)
- A piece of clothing for decorating
- Ball point pins
- Paint brushes
- Translucent thread
- Sewing needle
- Fabric glue
Here's how to do it:
- Using your template, trace a heart onto one of your pieces of felt with a marker and cut it out.
- Loop needle into the translucent thread. Begin threading your sequins onto the felt one by one until the outline of your heart is covered. Continue the same process working inwards until your entire heart is covered. When you get to the middle, seal your thread by tying a knot and cutting off any loose ends.
- Apply an even layer of fabric glue to the back of your heart and carefully place it on your clothing of choice. Let dry.
- If you want your patch to last for a long time, you can sew it right into your piece of clothing, working around the edges with the translucent thread.