Man who set a sleeping friend on fire to be sentenced today

dougnews thumbnail.jpg
A provincial judge will sentence a Kelowna man Tuesday for setting a sleeping friend on fire at a drinking party. 20 year old Mathew Sweet-Grant pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and assault with a weapon. Cell phone video played in court shows Sweet-Grant pouring after-shave on an 18 year old man passed out at a party. He then sets the teen's clothes on fire. Defense lawyer West Munson says it's a stunt his client started doing after seeing it on T.V. The flames caused second and third degree burns to 90 percent of the victim's back and right buttocks. Sweet-Grant told the court he's sorry for what he did. The crown is seeking a 6 to 8 year sentence. Munson says that's excessive and is asking the judge for 3 to 6 months.

B.C. Government and B.C. Jobs Minister accused of misleading bidders


The B.C. Government and B.C. Jobs Minister and Prince George-Mackenzie Liberal MLA Pat Bell have been accused of misleading bidders on a development. A CBC news investigation has uncovered serious allegations relating to the proposed Wood Innovation and Design Centre in Prince George. The allegations are contained in a written complaint filed last November by two businessmen, Dan McLaren and Brian Fehr. They allege in May 2012, government representatives met with them and assured them they would be short listed for the project if the land needed to build the development was purchased ahead of time. Records show Fehr bought the land after the assurances, but in the end, no company owned by him or McLaren made the short list. Three companies have been short listed, but the winning bidder hasn't yet been named. Jobs Minister Pat Bell maintains he acted properly. The lawyer, charged with overseeing the fairness of the bid found the process had been conducted fairly.
But Jane Shackell also acknowledged that there were concerns that were raised that didn't fall within her mandate to investigate. To find more on the story click here.

Queen of the North deckhand thought everyone was accounted for


A deckhand aboard the B.C. Ferry the Queen of the North the night it sank says crew members believed they'd gotten everybody off the vessel. Robert Burn has testified in B.C. Supreme Court. He says he and two other crew members circled the ferry in a raft, shouted and pointed their flashlights into the ferry's decks and windows. Burn says they never saw anybody on the ship. The vessel missed a crucial turn, struck an island and sank March 22nd, 2006. Two passengers from 100 Mile house were never found. Former fourth officer Karl Lilgert is currently on trial for criminal negligence causing death.


Previous Post
Next Post

Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Submission Policy

Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are moderated and published according to our submission guidelines.

Latest BC News